What are you up to this weekend? Around here, we’re cleaning up after a summer storm and taking a teen to her first sleepover in over a year. (She’s pumped.) And I know I say this often, but the book situation in my office is out of control. It’s time for a weekend cleanup!
Earlier this week we announced we’re hiring to our What Should I Read Next? newsletter subscribers and Patreon supporters. We’re looking to add a Media Production Assistant to our team. This is a non-technical role helping us get the podcast and Patreon content out each week. You don’t need to have any experience working on podcasts. You do need to be a book lover and savvy internet user with great writing skills. If you think you’d be a great fit, please head here for more details and to apply. (Please do not comment with questions about this role; you will have an opportunity to ask anything and everything later in the consideration process.)
My favorite finds from around the web:
- ‘Pride and Prejudice’-Inspired Reality Dating Show Ordered at Peacock. Speechless. Did they even read the book?!
- 20 Family Road Trip Tips to Save Your Sanity. Such smart ideas, including some I’d never thought of. I love how #1 is “hit the library before you go.”
- Through August 1st, 2021, Rothy’s is offering $20 off your first purchase of $100 or more when you use this link.
- 17 Easy, Breezy Dinners for Summer Beach Days. I’ve been needing meal inspiration because it’s too hot to turn on the oven!
- Matt Haig: ‘I have never written a book that will be more spoofed or hated’. Great profile. No hate for The Comfort Book here; it’s a Summer Reading Guide selection.
- This yummy mix was a key ingredient in a camp care package I just put together.
- You Really Need to Quit Twitter. “Twitter is a red light, blinking, blinking, blinking, destroying my ability for private thought, sucking up all my talent and wit. Put it out there, post it, see how it does.”
- I Never Saw Myself in Books — So I Wrote the Girl I’ve Always Needed to See. “I wanted books like the YA novels I’d read. I wanted to read about fat girls falling in love and winning beauty pageants. I just wanted them to be Black.”
- Anthropologie has a great sale on right now: all sale items are an additional 25% off. (Reflected in cart, but not in individual item listings.) Historically I’ve stocked up on gifts like high quality candles during these sales. I love their floral mugs, journals, and this beautiful throw blanket. And I’m forever losing my AirPods so I’m trying this adorable case from Rifle.
- The New Rules of Nonstick. This explains so much.
- The Crime Books Top Authors Read Twice Because They’re Just That Good. What thrillers have you revisited?
Don’t miss these posts:
- The things that seem to work for everyone else. This is a good reminder.
- 20 terrific tomes to add to your TBR (or teetering to-read tower). Summer is a great time to read big books!
On One Great Book:
Don’t miss today’s brand-new episode of One Great Book, now back for Volume 5! Each week I pull one standout selection off my personal bookshelves and tell you all about it, in ten minutes or less.
- July 23-25: Readers’ Weekend: See this post for more information. We hope you’ll join us!
- July 28, 7 pm ET: Live chat with author Nadia Hashimi: Time for our MMD Book Club discussion of Sparks Like Stars with author Nadia Hashimi! (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
- July 31, 3 pm ET: Backlist Book Club: Young Jane Young: Whether you’re a long-time MMD Book Club member looking to revisit some favorites, or a new member wondering where to start, we’re taking a look back at some of the best of Book Club from the past few years.
- August 24, 1 pm ET: Live chat with author Elizabeth Brooks: Time for our MMD Book Club discussion of The Whispering House with author Elizabeth Brooks! (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
You can find more upcoming events here.
Have a great weekend!