Readers, summer reading season is in full swing around here, and to help you get more out of your reading life while the season lasts, we’re dedicating a weekend to the reading life—and you’re invited.
Readers tell us time and time again that they want the time and tools to make the most of their reading life. The Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club provides the tools. Now, we’re giving you a reason to make the time.
One of the unique pleasures of reading is that this solitary activity is greatly enhanced when it’s done in community. So you could say that this weekend we’re reading alone, together.
Our goal with this special weekend is to help you make the time and space to dedicate an entire weekend to your reading life. In 2019 and 2020, we hosted two reader retreats—one small and in-person, and one large and virtual. We’ve learned a lot about what makes these special weekends valuable to readers.
That’s why now, considering the special circumstances of 2021, we’re offering this special opportunity—halfway through your reading year—to reflect on your intentions and invest time in your reading life. We’ll encourage you to connect with fellow readers and indulge in a little bookish fun, but we especially want to help you dedicate time to read!
This can look however you’d like: choose a book you’ve been meaning to cross off your To Be Read list, connect with a buddy to read something new, take to the trails with an audiobook you’ve been longing to listen to. Just read.
Everyone’s invited to participate, and we’d love to have you join us. There is no charge, and you don’t need to sign up. I do strongly suggest you follow me on Instagram @annebogel, and if you don’t already get our regular blog posts (not just the book lists) by email, I recommend signing up for those as well, because we’ll post updates in our regular Friday Links I Love posts.
We’ll kick things off on Friday, July 23 at 6:00 pm EDT, and conclude on Sunday, July 25 at the same time. That’s forty-eight hours to read to your heart’s content.
We first announced this Readers’ Weekend to our MMD Book Clubbers several months ago, and as promised, we have details for the special Book Club events happening during our Readers’ Weekend.
- Friday July 23 6:00 pm EDT: Opening Ceremonies and Virtual Paperback Swap
- Saturday July 24 3:00 pm EDT: You’ve Got Mail watch party
- Sunday July 25 12:00 pm EDT: Closing Ceremonies
We also have a Readers’ Weekend kit for our members. That kit includes:
- instructions for how to participate in our virtual paperback swap
- a helpful list of books you could finish in a weekend
- tips for building your priority To Be Read list
- a list of favorite bookish films (and that invitation to watch one together)
- a recipe so you can whip up a Readers’ Weekend cocktail
- advice for planning a bookish field trip
- a bingo card to document your reading adventures
The Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club is where we’re learning to read better, together. That includes lots of reading together, of course, and we also enjoy classes, community, and conversations all about the reading life. This summer in Book Club you’ll hear from three Summer Reading Guide authors (chosen from the 2021 Minimalist Summer Reading Guide), and join us for upcoming events like How to Find Your Book People and our annual Austen in August tradition.
Whenever you join Book Club, you also get instant access to our full library of past classes and author chats, including:
- Book Journaling for Fun and Focus
- 1 Hour to a Better #Bookstagram
- Your Guide to an Awesome Audiobook Experience
- Delightful author chats with authors like Louise Miller, Elizabeth Acevedo, Tayari Jones, William Kent Krueger, Emily Henry, and more—and upcoming events with Nadia Hashimi, Elizabeth Brooks, and Devoney Looser!
We would love to have you join us in Book Club for all our summer happenings, but remember the Readers’ Weekend is open to everyone, so mark your calendar now—and keep a close eye on our Links I Love posts where we’ll share details and reminders as the date draws nearer.
I can’t wait to read with you all summer long, and during our Readers’ Weekend beginning July 23. Happy reading!