What’s in store for your weekend? Around here, we’re celebrating a birthday and spending some time in the great outdoors.
I hope these links help ease you into that weekend frame of mind.
My favorite finds from around the web:
- Maggie O’Farrell Novel ‘Hamnet’ Headed For Screen From Amblin Partners, Sam Mendes’ Neal Street, Hera Pictures. Get your Kleenex ready.
- I have my eye on this Greetings from Avonlea postcard. A cute surprise for anyone’s mailbox!
- Dakota Johnson to Star in A(nother) Persuasion Adaptation. We’ll see how it compares.
- Benji Is One Down Dog. A delightful profile of Adriene Mishler’s dog Benji. “His gaze is polite but frank. It is the look of someone utterly at ease in his own fur, confident that wherever he goes, everyone will be thrilled to see him.” This piece made me smile so big—the sense of humor cracks me up.
- “I Probably Modeled Him on Something I’d Heard on The Wire”. An interesting examination of representation and casting in the audiobook industry.
- Gardening Through Grief. I get this.
- On Finding a Little Spark When Your Writing’s Lost Its Heat. This was reassuring.
- I love a breezy pair of linen pants for hot summer days.
- Celebrate Octavia Butler’s Birthday with an Exclusive Excerpt from a Forthcoming Biography. “I decided to call this biography a constellation because Octavia’s mind and her imagination were truly complex wonders—bright and far-reaching. She mapped out her creative life and unwaveringly went after her dream, step by step, day by day.”
- How the Personal Computer Broke the Human Body. “The function of technology has never been to make our lives easier, but only to complicate us in new ways.”
- Chefs Are Sharing The One Secret Ingredient They Use To Improve Common Dishes, And I’m Taking Notes. I wonder what my answer would be. (Who am I kidding? It’s preserved lemon.)
Don’t miss these posts:
- 20 fantastic and flavorful food fiction reads. This might make you hungry. Don’t say I didn’t warn you!
- A to-do list trick. It’s so simple and yet such a game-changer.
- 17 big, fat books for your summer reading. Big books invite you to enter a new world and camp out for a good, long while.
On One Great Book:
Don’t miss today’s brand-new episode of One Great Book, now back for Volume 5! Each week I pull one standout selection off my personal bookshelves and tell you all about it, in ten minutes or less.
On What Should I Read Next:
If you enjoy unusual book collections, you’re going to enjoy learning about this week’s guest’s fascinating vintage book collection and its surprising connection to her taste in crime fiction. Brenda LaBelle is a make-up artist turned librarian with a love of stories and research. Her list of favorites includes titles you’ve never heard on the podcast before.
- June 26, 3 pm ET: Backlist Book Club: Everyone Brave Is Forgiven: Whether you’re a long-time MMD Book Club member looking to revisit some favorites, or a new member wondering where to start, we’re taking a look back at some of the best of Book Club from the past few years. Join in at the end of each month in a Member Meetup as we break into small groups to discuss live with fellow members. (Member Meetups are not recorded.)
- July 7, 5:30 pm ET: SkillPop Becoming A Better Reader class: Many of us put “read more” on lists of goals and resolutions. But how do you find great books, make the time, and build a reading life you love? We’ll talk about how to identify your literary taste, removing barriers and making time, and not getting held back by overwhelm. Plus, I will share my most practical tips and recommendations for making reading a bigger, more enjoyable part of your life. Register here.
- July 8, 1 pm ET: How To Find Your Book People class: More information to come. (This is an MMD Book Club event.)
- July 23-25: Readers’ Weekend: It’s time to spend some quality time with your TBR. See this post for more information. We hope you’ll join us!
- July 28, 7 pm ET: Live chat with author Nadia Hashimi: Time for our MMD Book Club discussion of Sparks Like Stars with author Nadia Hashimi! (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
- August 24, 1 pm ET: Live chat with author Elizabeth Brooks: Time for our MMD Book Club discussion of The Whispering House with author Elizabeth Brooks! (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
You can find more upcoming events here.
Have a great weekend!