Today, author Lamar Giles is joining me to chat about his two great literary loves: children’s books, and… horror novelist Stephen King? If you don’t think those things go together, Lamar is prepared to talk you into changing your mind, and maybe about more than just that.
Get ready for a great chat about transcending stereotypes, how books can build up the self-worth of young readers, great novels where the setting becomes a character in its own right, and so so much more.
Let’s get to it!
Click here to read the full episode transcription (opens in a new tab).
Books mentioned in this episode:
• Spin, by Lamar Giles
• The Last Last-Day-of-Summer, by Lamar Giles
• Fallen Angels, by Walter Dean Myers
• author Stephen Barns (try Twelve Days)
• author Tananarive Due (try The Good House)
• author Eric Jerome Dickey (try Bad Men and Wicked Women)
• The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, by Taylor Jenkins Reid
• Daisy Jones & the Six, by Taylor Jenkins Reid
• A Visit from the Goon Squad, by Jennifer Egan
• House of Leaves, by Mark Z. Danielewski
• Experimental Film, by Gemma Files
• The Terror, by Dan Simmons
• 11/22/63, by Stephen King
• On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft, by Stephen King
• The Stand, by Stephen King
♥ IT, by Stephen King
• The Fire on High, by Elizabeth Acevedo
♥ Horton Hears a Who, by Dr. Seuss
• Different Seasons, by Stephen King
♥ The Mysteries of Harris Burdick, by Chris Van Alsberg
▵ The Catcher in the Rye, by J. D. Salinger
• WitSec: Inside the Federal Witness Protection Program, by Pete Earley
• Fake ID, by Lamar Giles
• Jabari Jumps, by Gaia Cornwall
• Literally Disturbed #1: Tales to Keep You Up at Night, by Ben Winters
• Underground Airlines, by Ben Winters
• Golden State, by Ben Winters
• How it Went Down, by Kekla Magoon
• The Season of Styx Malone, by Kekla Magoon
• Cilla Lee Jenkins: Future Author Extraordinaire, by Susan Tan
Thanks to this week’s sponsors:
Unlock a world of knowledge with The Great Courses Plus. Right now, WSIRN listeners can get a FREE trial of unlimited access to their entire library. Sign up at TheGreatCoursesPlus.com/READNEXT
Kopari’s Coconut Deodorant is a cleaner alternative to traditional deodorants. Go to KopariBeauty.com/READNEXT to save $5 off your first deodorant order when you subscribe.
Get your job in front of the most relevant, qualified candidates with LinkedIn Jobs. Post a job today at LinkedIn.com/READNEXT and get $50 off your first job post.
What do YOU think Lamar should read next?