On WSIRN I’ve helped a lot of readers get out of their comfort zones, but today’s guest Mallory O’Meara is taking me out of mine. Her wheelhouse is everything bizarre, paranormal, and downright scary. As you’ll hear… it took several tries to find three books I had experience with that she hadn’t already read. So yep, you’re going to hear about a ton of books that have never, ever been talked about on the show!
But when we dig past the surface differences, Mallory and I have a lot in common, especially our desire to understand how an author DID that. How did they pull off the magic trick that turned regular words on a page into an extraordinary reading experience? We had a great time chatting about the magic of rereading a favorite book, arguing with critics, how comfort-reading looks way different for different readers, and her pro tips for dealing with the post-scary-book jitters.
Let’s get to it!
Connect with Mallory on Twitter and Instagram, listen to her podcast Reading Glasses, and check out her new book, The Lady from the Black Lagoon: Hollywood Monsters and the Lost Legacy of Milicent Patrick.
Click here to read the full episode transcription (opens in a new tab).
Books mentioned in this episode:
• The Lady from the Black Lagoon: Hollywood Monsters and the Lost Legacy of Milicent Patrick, by Mallory O’Meara
• Author Mary Roach (try Gulp)
• How to Be Alone: If You Want To, and Even If You Don’t, by Lane Moore
♥ Get in Trouble, by Kelly Link
♥ A Head Full of Ghosts, by Paul Tremblay
♥ Priestdaddy, by Patricia Lockwood
▵ Outlander, by Diana Gaboldon
• Something Wicked This Way Comes, by Ray Bradbury
• The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, by Taylor Jenkins Reid
• Stars Over Sunset Boulevard, by Susan Meissner
• The Essex Serpent, by Sarah Perry
• House of Leaves, by Mark Z. Danielewski
• The Hike, by Drew Magary
• In the Woods, by Tana French
• Author Megan Abbott (try The Fever)
• Experimental Film, by Gemma Files
• The Hazel Wood, by Melissa Albert
• The Terror, by Dan Simmons
Thank you to today’s sponsors:
OpenFit is a super simple streaming service that allows you to work out from the comfort of your living room in as little as 10 minutes a day! Right now during the Openfit 30-day challenge, get a special 30-day free trial membership by texting READ to 303030.
Fill in the gaps in your diet with Essential for Women–a small step that helps support a healthy foundation for your body. Visit ritual.com/READNEXT to start your ritual today.
HERS delivers prescription, high strength retinoid face cream to help smooth the appearance of fine lines, uneven skin texture, and a dull complexion. WSIRN listeners get $10 off their first month (while supplies last, and subject to doctor approval).
Do you love or loathe scary books? Either way, comment your recommendations for Mallory in the comments below!