In episode 156, Myquillyn Smith inspired you to make our bookshelves beautiful… and today’s guest, Whitney Conard, is going to inspire you to cast a critical eye toward the shelf that holds your unread books. If you have a gigantic pile of books that you own but haven’t yet read looming somewhere in your house, Whitney totally gets you. We’re talking about her Instagram endeavor #TheUnreadShelfProject2018, saying goodbye to reading shame, the right and not-quite-right times to read (for instance, in math class) and then, at Whitney’s invitation, I get to take a hard look at Whitney’s unread shelf and help her decide—from the bountiful selection of titles—what she should read next.
Let’s get to it!
Books mentioned in this episode:
Some links are affiliate links. More details here.
If you'd like to support your local indie, check out Indiebound.com. And by all means, go grab one of these from your local library!
• The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing, by Marie Kondo(Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Fitness Junkie, by Lucy Sykes and Jo Piazza (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
♥ The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, by C. S. Lewis(Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
♥ Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity, by Katherine Boo (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
♥ The Likeness, by Tana French(Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• In the Woods, by Tana French(Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
▵ Since We Fell, by Dennis Lehane (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• The 100-Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared, by Jonas Jonasson (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Author Louise Penny(start with Still Life: Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Reading People: How Seeing the World through the Lens of Personality Changes Everything, by Anne Bogel (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• The Thirteenth Tale, by Diane Setterfield (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down: A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and the Collision of Two Cultures, by Anne Fadiman (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• I’ll Be Your Blue Sky, by Marisa de los Santos (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Belong to Me, by Marisa de los Santos (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• #kcbookstagram on Instagram
• #theunreadbookproject on Instagram
• The Book Buddy app for iPhone
• WSIRN Ep 146: Refugee camps, civil war, and the triumph of a library card, feat. Chatti Phal-Brown
Thank you to today's sponsors:
Join me in the Beachbody Yoga Studio--whether you want a flow practice, yoga for athletes or a meditative practice there are tons of sessions to choose from ranging from 10 min to an hour.
Right now WSIRN listeners can get a special free trial membership including their new 14-day results plan totally free. Just text READ to 303030.
ThirdLove’s team of expert Fit Stylists are dedicated to helping you find your perfect fit. Try their new cotton collection. They are so confident you'll love it that if you don’t you can return or exchange it for free.
Go to THIRDLOVE.com/readnext now to get 15% off your first purchase!
What do YOU think Whitney should read next? What's your unread shelf number? Let us know in the comments!