Readers, clear your calendars — today’s episode might inspire you to rethink and rearrange your whole home library. My friend Myquillyn Smith, author of home decor books Cozy Minimalist Home and The Nesting Place, is joining me to chat about the revelation of ribbon on a bookshelf, spunky iconoclastic women in fiction, why she doesn’t have a library card, books that give you a kick in the pants… and what she does to dust jackets might horrify you, but you’ll be laughing all the way!
Before you click play — there’s a special episode coming your way that I want to tell you about. The holidays are fast approaching and as you know, books make the perfect gift, whether you’re shopping for friends, family, coworkers, or teachers…. But choosing WHICH book is the real dilemma. A special guest and I are coming to WSIRN to help you match YOUR loved one with the perfect readerly gift!
There are two ways to be matched with your perfect giftable book —
- You can record a message at modernmrsdarcy.com/talk telling me your relationship to this person, their favorite books, a book you know they don’t like, and any other little details you think are useful. Make sure to keep your message under 1 minute!
- You can also email email@example.com, that’s our producer, with the same information – your relationship, their favorites, any dislikes you know about, and current reads.
Some of your messages will be selected for the upcoming holiday episode, and we’ll hook you up with the perfect bookish gifts!
Now on to Myquillyn…
Books mentioned in this episode:
Some links are affiliate links. More details here.
If you’d like to support your local indie, check out Indiebound.com. And by all means, go grab one of these from your local library!
• Cozy Minimalist Home: More Style, Less Stuff, by Myquillyn Smith (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Presence: Bringing Your Boldest Self to Your Biggest Challenges, by Amy Cuddy (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear, by Elizabeth Gilbert (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
♥ The Great Alone, by Kristin Hannah (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Beartown, by Fredrik Backman (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
♥ Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk, by Kathleen Rooney (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
♥ Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less, by Greg McKeown (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
▵ A Gentleman in Moscow, by Amor Towles (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• The American Heiress, by Daisy Goodwin (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Rest: Why You Get More Done When You Work Less, by Alex Soojung-Kim Pang (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Victoria, by Daisy Goodwin (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• City Baker’s Guide to Country Living, by Louise Miller (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• The One in a Million Boy, by Monica Wood (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
What do YOU think Myquillyn should read next? Do you have any shelves organized in rainbow-etical order? Let us know in the comments!