Happy Tuesday, readers!
Today on What Should I Read Next, I’m having an incredible conversation with Chatti Phal-Brown about how war, family, trauma, joy, and hope for the future have shaped her reading life. She requested I recommend a genre I’ve almost NEVER discussed on the show, and her least favorite book… well, it might surprise you, and her reasons provide a LOT of food for thought. I might have to re-read this hated book so I can see what she’s talking about.
I don't want anyone to miss today's episode because IT'S SO GOOD. But you should know it gets emotional at times, and Chatti speaks candidly about topics like genocide, sexual assault, and racism. If those topics might be triggering for you, please take care of yourself by listening with caution, or simply setting this episode aside and tuning in next week.
Books mentioned in this episode:
Some links are affiliate links. More details here.
If you'd like to support your local indie, check out Indiebound.com. And by all means, go grab one of these from your local library!
• Flowers in the Attic, by V. C. Andrews (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes, by Eleanor Coerr (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl, by Anne Frank (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• The Outsiders, by S. E. Hinton (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Fahrenheit 451, by Ray Bradbury (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Like Water for Chocolate, by Laura Esquivel (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Wildwood, by Colin Meloy (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Everything Here is Beautiful, by Mira T. Lee (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Eleanor and Park, by Rainbow Rowell (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Lincoln in the Bardo, by George Saunders (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• A Place For Us, by Fatima Farheen Mirza (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• The Hazel Wood, by Melissa Albert (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• When the Elephants Dance, by Tess Uriza Holthe (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• News of the World, by Paulette Jiles (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurtry (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• The Hello Goodbye Window, by Norton Juster (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
Thank you to today's sponsors:
ThirdLove bras are tailored to both size and shape, and offer cup sizes from AA through G plus half cup sizes. Right now ThirdLove is offering WSIRN listeners 15% off your first Order! Go to ThirdLove.com/READNEXT to find your perfect fit.
Beachbody is the same fitness company you know from their programs like P90X and Insanity. Now all of their workouts are available streaming online with Beachbody on Demand. You can do P90X, Insanity, weight training, yoga, and programs specifically for pre and postnatal women. Text READ to 303030 for a free trial account, with full access – all the workouts, the nutrition information and support!
What do YOU think Chatti should read next? Let us know in the comments!