This site got a new look and a whole lot more functionality as of Friday afternoon. (Mobile users, rejoice! I think you’ll appreciate the updates the most.)
As promised, here’s your tour:
On the home page:
• Freshened-up navigation: more on that in a minute.
• Tidied-up categories:hover over each one to view subcategories.
• The latest post is front and center.
• Recent posts appear backwards chronologically. Less scrolling for you!
Individual blog posts:
• Categories and comment count appear right under the post title; both are clickable.
• The comments section got a fresh new look. (Head here to read more about comments on MMD, including how to get your own little picture to show up next to your comments.)
• The card catalog: I’m very excited about this. Just like the library, this is where you’ll be able to browse all the books that have ever been mentioned on Modern Mrs Darcy and easily find relevant posts. Find what you’re looking for by searching by title, author, or genre, or just browse through the visual gallery of book covers. This section is incomplete: we couldn’t populate the books before we published the redesign, but we’re adding new books every day. Full tour coming when the archives are moved over.
• The circulation desk is a fun and easy way to view seasonal content and browse archives by category, real and invented. Examples from the page right now: Let’s Get Dressed, Reading by Numbers, Making Life Work, and Life Lessons from Green Gables. I’ll be updating this page regularly.
There’s a lot more functionality within bookish posts now. (View an example here.) When you click on an individual book title, you’ll be taken to a page that includes detailed information about the book, such as my description, the publisher’s description, and where the book has appeared on MMD. You can also easily view other related titles that have been mentioned on the blog, or click over to purchase the book. Just like for the card catalog, we are actively adding books to the back end of the site.
I’m thrilled with how beautiful and user-friendly the new Kindle deals page is! View the deals here. Click on a book title for more info about that particular book; click the Amazon button to visit Amazon. (Have no fear: it does not initiate the purchase.)
That’s it for now. If you have any questions or find anything that needs tweaking, please let me know!