I love year end reflections and recaps, and today I’m sharing one particular to blogging: the 10 most popular posts of the year, determined by pure numbers. These are the 11 posts that garnered the most pageviews during the calendar year beginning January 1, in order, most to least. (It was going to be 10, but I think #11 is an interesting outlier, so 11 it is.)
The internet is a funny place. It’s always interesting to see what ends up on this list, because “popular” doesn’t mean “best.” These aren’t necessarily my favorite posts, or yours. Some of these posts did well because you loved and shared them; some are here because Facebook kept popping them in people’s feeds, or it somehow ranks high in Google search, or—in the case of #1—Reddit got ahold of it.
I’m always surprised to see what makes the list, and what doesn’t, and hope you enjoy perusing these top 11. Sometimes the results make me shake my head, but I’m sharing them anyway. Without further adieu … the most popular posts of 2017, in order:
1. Unputdownable: 17 books I read in 24 hours or less (because they were just that good). 17 titles featuring great characters, strong narrative drive, and a premise that sucks you right in.
2. The 2017 Summer Reading Guide. Because summer’s too short to read bad books: your guide to the season’s best. (Bonus: at year’s end, the library waiting list for these titles will be much, much shorter.)
3. 13 things I’ve learned in 30 months of Stitch Fix (aka my best Stitch Fix tips). Seven and a half years and 40-something fixes later, these are my best tips for getting the most out of Stitch Fix.
4. The ten-item wardrobe. Some people think this topic is superficial, but we all have to get dressed. If you put some thought and organization into this daily task, you can completely change your life.
5. 9 books you should have read in high school that are totally worth reading now. If you tend to get a little panicky when you consider all the books you feel like you should have read by now, take heart: you’ll get more out of reading these novels now than you ever would have gotten out of them in high school.
6. How to listen to Audible audiobooks for free, without a membership. How to stream top-rated audiobooks for free—including best sellers, family favorites, celebrity-narrated classics, and more.
7. 17 books everyone will be talking about this summer. Your guide to the season’s certain bestsellers, to help you decide if they’re right for you.
8. 40 favorite audiobooks for kids. My own family’s favorites, the ones we’re looking forward to listening to in the car and during quiet time, and a healthy number of reader selections.
9. 9 bestsellers actually worth the hype. Just because a book is a bestseller, that doesn’t mean it’s any good. These 9 titles justify the buzz.
10. 11 book pairs that match your childhood favorites with what you should read now. If you’re a reader who knows the joy of reading for a lifetime—or wants to—this list is for you.
11. 9 little things I’m loving right now. This one is a bit of an outlier on the popular post list: 9 little, everyday, and inexpensive things that bring me a disproportionate amount of happy.
Next week I’ll share my favorite posts here. I already know the lists won’t overlap by much. Stay tuned!