My favorite finds from around the web:
• How to build the perfect sandcastle. “Be clear about the fact that building a sandcastle is a totally useless operation. Don’t expect too much; it’s going to disappear.”
• For couples, time can upend the laws of attraction. “People were asked a version of the famous question in Christopher Marlowe’s 16th-century poem: “Who ever loved, that loved not at first sight?” A great many, it turns out. (A few Jane Austen references don’t hurt this piece.)
• Best podcasts for a road trip. “I listen to a variety of podcasts but not all are conducive to long drives. For a road trip, I tend to think longer episodes are better. When else will you have so much uninterrupted time to listen?”
• 21 secrets about Sephora that every makeup addict should know. As a minimalist makeup user, I still found this informative.
• Have you heard about Book Riot Live? This November, Book Riot is hosting a reader convention in NYC featuring fellow book lovers, a bunch of amazing authors, and the Book Riot team. Get more info about Book Riot Live here (and save $20 with the discount code MMDREADS).
What I’m reading this week:
• The Knockoff by Lucy Sykes and Jo Piazza. It’s pure coincidence that I’m reading this hot on the heels of The September Issue, but the timing is perfect.
• The Book Thief. Finally!
• Listening to: Armada by Ernest Cline. I’m enjoying it, even though I’m not loving it as much as Ready Player One. (RP1 is a Summer Reading Guide pick, and hands-down, the book I’ve gotten the most emails about, which usually go something like “I never would have discovered that book on my own but I loved it.” If you need a great summer read, take note.)
On the blog:
Have a great weekend!