What are you up to this weekend? I’m taking a quick trip to Nashville with my teen daughters, and welcome your suggestions for what to do/eat/see in comments!
I hope you have something to look forward to these next few days, and that this collection of interesting reads and favorite things helps ease you into that weekend frame of mind.
Bookmarks NC Festival of Books & Authors is soon!
I’ll be in Winston-Salem next weekend for their annual literary festival. All events on Saturday, September 24 are free and open to the public. The full schedule is available here.
Start your Saturday with our meetup for Modern Mrs Darcy readers and What Should I Read Next listeners. I hope you’ll come by and say hi! Join us at 9:30am for a casual gathering in the picnic area behind Calvary Moravian, the large venue at the center of the festival space. If it rains we’ll move indoors to the Bookmarks bookstore café and look for each other there. I hope you can make it!
My Reading Past Bedtime session is at noon. I’ll speak at noon on cultivating a love of books and reading in young readers. Later that afternoon I’m moderating the Book Club Favorites panel featuring Tia Williams, TJ Klune, Brendan Slocumb, and Andrew Sean Greer. I’ll sign books afterwards in the signing tent and would love to meet you there, as well as sign and personalize all your books.
It’s going to be a great festival. I hope to see you there!
My favorite finds from around the web:
- Maggie O’Farrell Looks for Stories Hiding in Plain Sight. This must be why she works so well for me.
- Now that it’s not always a zillion degrees out I’m wearing the new wide leg pant from American Giant all the time. (Mine are a size 6, in Meteorite.) Because they’re a podcast sponsor: use the code DARCY to save 20% on your first order.
- The Enduring Allure of Choose Your Own Adventure Books. So nostalgic.
- Team member Baylee raved about this pumpkin bread recipe so we had to try it! It was a hit, even without the chocolate chips.
- I just found out The Container Store is having a huge sale this weekend with 25% off almost everything, so with that in mind: we adore their dream drawer organizers, stackable folding bookshelves (mine are pictured here), and 3-tier rolling cart in an array of colors that might be perfect for your TBR (or art supplies, or kitchen organization).
- Serena Williams Refused to Bend. She Bent Tennis Instead. Incredible profile of an incredible legacy.
- Do you have a signature scent? Fascinating discussion, and lots of great ideas if you’re looking for your own.
- How to Buy Cheese Like a Pro: Tips from Cheesemonger Anne Saxelby. I feel a great need to go buy some cheese now.
- I bought myself a present in the form of a pretty mug. My husband Will thinks we have enough already but I adamantly disagree.
- 14 Mistakes Everyone Makes With Spaghetti. Great tips.
Don’t miss these posts:
- 25 boarding school novels that are better than your class reunion. This title may or may not tell you how I feel about class reunions.
- Sweaters for every fall wish list. I’m eager for sweater weather to arrive!
- 15 fantasy novels that are grounded in reality. I don’t read a ton of fantasy but when I do, this is the kind I reach for.
Have a great weekend!