What are you up to this weekend? I’m getting ready for the Readers’ Weekend we’re hosting in Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club—which means I need to decide what I’m going to read. I’m really looking forward to spending dedicated reading time inside in the air conditioning instead of outside in our horrid heat wave.
I hope you have good books and lovely things to look forward to these next few days, and that this collection of interesting reads and favorite things helps ease you into that weekend frame of mind.
My Reading Adventures is almost here!
It’s hard to believe it but we’re only a couple of weeks away from the release of my new kids’ journal My Reading Adventures. I can’t wait to get it in your kids’ hands. Don’t miss out on the preorder bonuses!
If you’re around Seaside, Florida on August 2, I’ll be at Sundog Books for a signing at 12:00pm CT. I’d love to see you there!
My favorite finds from around the web:
- ‘A little bit addictive and the right amount hard’: new video game is based on poems of Emily Dickinson. Based on the invented game from Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, one of my favorite books of the season (and the year).
- What was your last 5-star read? I asked this question on Instagram, and … WOW. 1100+ comments and counting …
- Patrick Radden Keefe Gets to the Bottom of It. A fascinating interview with the esteemed journalist.
- Get your first 2 months of Discovery+ for just $0.99/mo! HGTV, Food Network, TLC, ID, the History Channel, the Magnolia Network, Animal Planet, Discovery Channel, and more. Personally I am all in on The Barefoot Contessa and The Laundry Guy, but I hear some of you care deeply about this thing called Shark Week …
- Why Is It So Hard to Adapt Austen? The Fans Play a Part. (Gift article.) “The backlash to the Netflix version of “Persuasion” has as much to do with who’s watching as who’s scripting.”
- The Hotel-Spirit. An interesting solution (or at least part of it) to the housing crisis.
- Still my favorite rash guard (at an AMAZING price, if you can stomach the “final sale”).
- With Rising Book Bans, Librarians Have Come Under Attack. “For most librarians, she said, the issue is not one of politics but of professional ethics.”
- Related: Groundbreaking Study Explores Trauma, Stress in Frontline Library Workers. Librarians deserve better.
- The last time I needed a phone case I went for functionality, but when it came time to replace it I went for delight (plus good drop protection). It arrived this week and I love it.
- How I Travel: Comedian Phoebe Robinson Has Followed U2 Around the World. This was fun to read!
- It’s All in the Cards: How Organizing My Library Is Helping My Brain. If you follow Liberty Hardy on Instagram, you’re probably as enamored with her new card catalog as I am. Loved hearing more about her organizing process.
- We’re trying out this new active sunscreen on the rave reviews of several friends.
- New 988 hotline is the 911 for mental health emergencies. A valuable resource. Be sure to look into how it will work in your area, as local centers are still working out the kinks.
- Inventing the Beach Read. This concept goes back way further than I thought!
- How Did “Recipe Developer” Become a Famous Job? I will never not enjoy learning about unconventional jobs.
Don’t miss these posts:
- 20 travel memoirs to take you around the world (from the comfort of your couch). Are you in need of some armchair travel? This list will tide you over while you dream about your next vacation.
- My favorite cold drinks for hot summer days. So refeshing!
- A Rom-Com Syllabus. This is the kind of resolution we can all keep!
- July 22-24: Readers’ Weekend: Join us for our Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club Readers’ Weekend!
- July 26: Live discussion with Bonnie Garmus: Time for our Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club discussion of Lessons in Chemistry with author Bonnie Garmus!
- August 2: Book signing at Sundog Books in Seaside, Florida: I’ll be there at 12:00pm central time with my new kids’ journal My Reading Adventures.
- August 25: Live discussion with Peng Shepherd: Time for our Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club discussion of The Cartographers with author Peng Shepherd!
You can find more upcoming events here.
Have a great weekend!