Happy Oaks Day! It’s Derby weekend here in Louisville, which means the kids are off school, the groceries are overflowing with red roses and mint, and there’s a party feel in the air. I won’t be going anywhere near the track, but I’m looking forward to watching the race at a Derby party (think Superbowl party, but with a much shorter main event!).
I hope you have something to look forward to this weekend, and that this list of interesting reads and favorite things helps ease you into that weekend frame of mind.
The Summer Reading Guide is coming!
Speaking of things we’re looking forward to—the 2022 Summer Reading Guide is almost here! The guide drops on May 23. We’d love to have you join us for our live Unboxing (aka the best book party of the year). Click here for all the details on how to get your guide and how to join us for Unboxing!
My favorite finds from around the web:
- Mary Laura Philpott never met a bookstore she didn’t like. It shouldn’t be a surprise Mary Laura has an interesting approach to bookshelf organization. I’m looking forward to talking with her in the Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club on June 29.
- How one book influencer championing Black authors is changing publishing. Great profile of Cree Myles.
- Thrilled to see Smitten Kitchen has a new cookbook coming this November.
- Famous Kentucky Recipes to Inspire Your Best Derby Day Spread. Derby Day is tomorrow! Related: Straight to you from Derby City: the classic mint julep, and a mint fizz mocktail.
- Amazon has a killer sale going right now: a selection of stellar hardcover and paperbacks are buy 1, get 1 50% prices that are already pretty low. I’ve gathered my favorites here. If that’s not enough, Target has a buy 1, get 1 50% deal happening, too.
- Why Doctors Are Prescribing Nature Walks. Days that I get out for a walk certainly seem to go better.
- The Sun Safety Kit from Sephora is back! Sample a whole bunch of fan fave sunscreens. This sells out every year so get it while you can.
- What are COVID archivists keeping for tomorrow’s historians? So much goes into documenting historical events, both individually and globally.
- Strong Sense of Place season 4 kicked off last week with an episode about Iceland!
- Team member Chelsey wants you to know she wore this floral jumpsuit last weekend and got sooo many compliments! Bonus: the puffed sleeves make her think of Anne Shirley.
- I continue to reference last year’s Summer Reading Guide book Laundry Love ALL THE TIME for various pesky stain and spill situations. We had a bit of a situation involving an ink pen this week so at the book’s suggestion I finally got acquainted with Amodex. Highly recommend.
- How to Fix Smudged Nail Polish Without Starting From Scratch. Filing these tips away. Pun intended.
- 20 Iconic 80s Teen Movies You Want to Watch With YOUR Teens. A few of these did not age well (or include scenes I probably wouldn’t want to watch with my teens) but I’m making a note of the rest.
Don’t miss these posts:
- 20 backlist favorites from 10 years of the Summer Reading Guide. A little something to whet your appetite as you wait for the 2022 Summer Reading Guide.
- A trick for when you’re stuck in a reading rut. Such a simple tip for anyone who’s struggling to read right now.
- 16 page-turning mysteries that aren’t too dark and gloomy. A list of favorite mysteries that fall squarely within the confines of the genre, yet maintain a hopeful tone throughout.
- May 24: Live discussion with Bethany C. Morrow: Time for our Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club discussion of So Many Beginnings: A Little Women Remix with author Bethany C. Morrow!
- June 29: Live discussion with Mary Laura Philpott: Time for our Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club discussion of Bomb Shelter with author Mary Laura Philpott!
- July 26: Live discussion with Bonnie Garmus: Time for our Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club discussion of Lessons in Chemistry with author Bonnie Garmus!
- August 25: Live discussion with Peng Shepherd: Time for our Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club discussion of The Cartographers with author Peng Shepherd!
You can find more upcoming events here.
Have a great weekend!