What does your weekend look like? Around here we’re visiting with family and (finally) putting away holiday decorations. Will and I hope to finish watching Station Eleven—just one episode to go. (Are you watching? I have thoughts!)
My favorite finds from around the web:
- I Left Your Favorite Book Off That List On Purpose. I feel seen. (Ha!)
- ‘Fleabag’ Director Harry Bradbeer To Direct ‘Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine’ For MGM And Hello Sunshine. Fingers crossed this is good!
- Apropos of this week’s organizing adventures: these have long been my favorite organizers for shallow desk drawers.
- How Taking a Daily Walk Can Help You Feel More Connected to Your Community. This has proven true in my own life.
- Emma Straub on Opening Her Bookstore, Books Are Magic. “Can you believe that bookstores exist? Heaven on earth—places full of books that you can bring home with you, to keep forever, or to give to someone you love.”
- Two years into the pandemic, Yale’s ‘happiness’ course is more popular than ever. Anyone else thinking about signing up?
- The Most Valuable Thing I Can Teach My Kid Is How to Be Lazy. (Gift link.) “Laziness is more than the absence or avoidance of work; it’s also the enjoyment of lazing in the sun, or in another’s arms.”
- I’ve worn this cozy sweater nearly every other day since I got it a month ago. (It’s been FREEZING and it’s now the warmest sweater I own!)
- Are You Bugged When People Organize Books By Color? “If I’m on a bookshelf team at all, it’s this one: Having books in your house is awesome! Display/organize them however you wish.“
- 9 amazing iPhone tricks that most people don’t know about. I had no idea about most of these!
Don’t miss these posts:
- 15 propulsive literary mysteries that balance plot and prose. It’s hard to beat an unputdownable mystery combined with a beautifully written literary novel.
- 45 sources for great decaf coffee. I had to switch to decaf a few years ago and you all came through with the recommendations.
- 30 books featuring happy couples who met past age 30. Because the world needs love stories with happy endings featuring characters who aren’t teens and twenty-somethings.
- February 1: Hallmarks of a Great Book Project: How do you design a project for your reading life? We’re going to explore the different ways readers create structure for themselves while still allowing flexibility and freedom and ease. We’ll be sharing examples of a few of our own reading projects for the year, in the hopes that it will inspire you to think about something fun and life-giving you could do for your own reading life. (This is a Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club event.)
- February 10: Patreon Livestream: Anne and team member Holly will talk about what they’ve been reading lately, answer questions from patrons, and recommend books. These events are always a BLAST! Join Patreon for more details.
- February 12: Galentine’s Weekend Watch Party: Movie TBD. (This is a Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club event.)
- February 24: Live chat with author Liz Moore: Time for our Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club discussion of The Unseen World with author Liz Moore!
You can find more upcoming events here.
Have a great weekend!