Happy Friday! Although I hardly know what day it is, because we had pizza last night for dinner instead of on our regular pizza night. (Does that sort of thing throw you for a loop, too?)
I hope this collection of intriguing reads and favorite things helps ease you into that weekend frame of mind.
My favorite finds from around the web:
- Emily St. John Mandel wrote a new novel in quarantine — see the first look. Sea of Tranquility comes out April 19, 2022 and I cannot wait.
- A friend sent me French Girl Rose Lip Polish a while back and I just ordered a replacement. She always finds the best beauty products!
- Megan Follows returns to Lucy Maud Montgomery’s world with Emily of New Moon audiobook. Whoever cast her deserves a raise.
- Jill Biden, Changing the Fashion Game. “The recycled wardrobe may not seem like a big deal, but it has been practically unheard-of since the turn of the 21st century when it comes to image-making, celebrities and their powerful political or entrepreneurial equivalents.”
- Watch me unbox my new reading journal! My Reading Life: A Book Journal is available for preorder now, wherever new books are sold. Click here for details and to get your preorder bonuses.
- Jean Hanff Korelitz: ‘I wanted to be a literary novelist. But I realised that I liked plot’. I’m fascinated by how Summer Reading Guide pick The Plot came to be and the way her career has evolved.
- Speaking of personal care products I order on repeat: this chlorine removal shampoo is a summer staple.
- The lie of “expired” food and the disastrous truth of America’s food waste problem. “There are two vital facts to know about date labels on foods in the US: They’re not standardized, and they have almost nothing to do with food safety.”
- A24 Lands Rights To Octavia E. Butler’s ‘Parable Of The Sower’, Setting ‘Time’ Director Garrett Bradley To Helm. This sounds promising. (Psst—we’re reading this in Book Club this fall!)
- 15 Books to Celebrate Disability Pride. July is Disability Pride Month.
Don’t miss these posts:
- 20 books featuring seasoned female protagonists. For readers looking for good books featuring female leads who aren’t just in their twenties and thirties. (I read an amazing book this month that would be a perfect addition to this list!)
- My favorite cold drinks for hot summer days. So refreshing!
- Branch out from your usual genres this year (and 15 titles that will help you do just that). This can be especially helpful when you’re in a reading slump.
On One Great Book:
Don’t miss today’s brand-new episode of One Great Book, now back for Volume 5! Each week I pull one standout selection off my personal bookshelves and tell you all about it, in ten minutes or less.
On What Should I Read Next:
Guest Loren credits some of her favorite books with inspiring small life changes, from going outside on days she’s not feeling it to deciding to apply to be a guest on this very podcast. We also dig into Loren’s reading retention difficulties (anyone relate?) and why an “easy” reading experience means something different to every reader.
- July 31, 3 pm ET: Backlist Book Club: Young Jane Young: Whether you’re a long-time MMD Book Club member looking to revisit some favorites, or a new member wondering where to start, we’re taking a look back at some of the best of Book Club from the past few years.
- August 10, 1 pm ET: Best Books of Summer meetup: Modern Mrs Darcy team members and fellow Book Club members share what they’ve read and loved, both from the Summer Reading Guide and beyond. Some old, some new, we just want to hear about all the great books. Grab your TBR list. Let us load it up for you with great books to take you through the rest of the summer. (This is an MMD Book Club event.)
- August 17, 7 pm ET: Live chat with author Devoney Looser: It’s Austen in August in Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club and we’ll be talking with author Devoney Looser. (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
- August 21, 3 pm ET: Northanger Abbey Watch Party: Watch along with us! The 2007 film staring Felicity Jones and Carey Mulligan can be found on streaming services or on many library streaming services like Hoopla and Kanopy. (This is an MMD Book Club event.)
- August 24, 1 pm ET: Live chat with author Elizabeth Brooks: Time for our MMD Book Club discussion of The Whispering House with author Elizabeth Brooks! (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
- August 28, 3 pm ET: Backlist Book Club: Stay With Me: Whether you’re a long-time MMD Book Club member looking to revisit some favorites, or a new member wondering where to start, we’re taking a look back at some of the best of Book Club from the past few years.
Find more upcoming events here.
Have a great weekend!