Happy weekend, readers! It’s a fun one around here: I’m stacking up my priority reads because it’s almost time for …
It’s finally here! We’ll kick things off tonight at 6:00 pm EDT, and conclude on Sunday, July 25 at the same time. That’s forty-eight hours to read to your heart’s content. Our goal with this special weekend is to help you make the time and space to dedicate an entire weekend to your reading life. Everyone’s welcome! More info here. Make sure you’re following me on Instagram at @annebogel.
MMD Book Club members received a special Readers’ Weekend kit and are invited to these exclusive events:
- Friday July 23 6:00 pm EDT: Opening Ceremonies and Virtual Paperback Swap
- Saturday July 24 3:00 pm EDT: You’ve Got Mail watch party
- Sunday July 25 12:00 pm EDT: Closing Ceremonies
My favorite finds from around the web:
- How TV adaptations are changing fiction. “Television adaptations are influencing every stage of a book’s life, including how it’s acquired in the first place.”
- The Sound of My Inbox. “A newsletter reshapes a writer’s relationship to their readers.” Newsletters have certainly evolved over the years, especially recently. (I send a few different newsletters myself.)
- Kristen Radtke’s ‘Seek You’ Shines a Light on American Loneliness. This book arrived this week and I’m looking forward to taking a look; it sounds fascinating.
- I’m starting to refresh my neglected closet for fall, beginning with a new cardigan in this style I’ve loved for years.
- Welcome to the Great American Ham Wave. I had no idea.
- Isn’t this tiny monstera philodendron the cutest?
- This is a killer deal: Get your Craftsy Premium Membership for only $2.49 for your first full year (normally $79.99). We’ve loved their baking and decorating classes, and there are scads more to try. (Like, 1500 of them.)
- The New Yorker’s Go-To for Spices and So Much More. This place sounds amazing! I’m going to have to stop by next time I’m in New York.
- This miniature garden tour of St. Paul is adorable. I wish I could see these in person!
- Best Songs of Summer 2021. This fun episode of Pop Culture Happy Hour will liven up your playlist.
- Less than two months until my next book My Reading Life: A Book Journal comes out! Preordering is a huge help to authors and we’ve got some great preorder bonuses if you need some enabling.
Don’t miss these posts:
- 20 travel memoirs to take you around the world (from the comfort of your couch). Are you in need of some armchair travel? This list will tide you over while you dream about your next vacation.
- One helpful piece of organizing (and life) advice. “Without a little margin, my system will be impossible to maintain.”
On One Great Book:
Don’t miss today’s brand-new episode of One Great Book, now back for Volume 5! Each week I pull one standout selection off my personal bookshelves and tell you all about it, in ten minutes or less.
On What Should I Read Next:
You were all so enthusiastic about our last team episode, we decided to do another one! The What Should I Read Next and Modern Mrs Darcy team is bursting with bookish enthusiasm at all times and today you get to be a fly on the wall for our conversations. WSIRN producer Brenna paired us up in our virtual recording studio and we had the best time discussing what summer reading means to us, what we’ve read and loved lately, and what we hope to read next before the season is over. There’s a mix of everything from complicated family sagas to reliable romance to page-turning nonfiction to sci fi that feels like a warm hug.
- July 23-25: Readers’ Weekend: See this post for more information. We hope you’ll join us!
- July 28, 7 pm ET: Live chat with author Nadia Hashimi: Time for our MMD Book Club discussion of Sparks Like Stars with author Nadia Hashimi! (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
- July 31, 3 pm ET: Backlist Book Club: Young Jane Young: Whether you’re a long-time MMD Book Club member looking to revisit some favorites, or a new member wondering where to start, we’re taking a look back at some of the best of Book Club from the past few years.
- August 17, 7 pm ET: Live chat with author Devoney Looser: It’s Austen in August in Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club and we’ll be talking with author Devoney Looser. (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
- August 24, 1 pm ET: Live chat with author Elizabeth Brooks: Time for our MMD Book Club discussion of The Whispering House with author Elizabeth Brooks! (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
You can find more upcoming events here.
Have a great weekend!