What are you planning this weekend? I’m hoping to plant boxwoods in planters (a first for me) and tidy my office, where the book stacks are truly out of control.
I have an unexpected update on my next book My Reading Life: A Book Journal. I’m sure you’ve heard about a little situation in the Suez Canal this spring, which has impacted numerous 2021 publication dates, including mine. The release date is now September 21.
My favorite finds from around the web
- Lessons Learned from a Unique Publishing Journey. Always interesting to go behind the scenes, especially when there are so many ups and downs.
- Why Everyone on TV Has the Same Hair. I stumbled upon this not-exactly-brand-new piece this week, but it still applies and is still fascinating.
- Florence Welch to Write a Great Gatsby Musical. I never saw this coming.
- My 9:30 p.m. bedtime, and other weekend revelations. I appreciate hearing how real people structure their days. (I’m also going to bed earlier these days, and, related to Laura’s “I hate this but I need it right now” take.)
- Julia Roberts, Reese Witherspoon, and Bestselling Author Laura Dave Are Making This Thriller Into a Show. I loved this book. The Last Thing He Told Me is Dave’s best work yet and a perfect fit for TV.
- Inside Netflix’s Quest to End Scrolling. I didn’t expect Netflix would be working on a solution for this specific kind of decision fatigue. “The phrase ‘What should we watch?’ has always had the ability to start minor squabbles among couples and families. Now, in the era of streaming, it can prompt existential despair.”
- I’m strongly tempted to buy these cute and inexpensive flour sack kitchen towels in every color.
- The New Faces of Cover-to-Cover Cooking. I love seeing which cookbooks people gravitate toward for projects like this. (Don’t miss our post about this phenomenon!)
- If Libraries Were Like Run Like Used Car Dealerships. This is clever. (“You can even take our little pencils!)
The Summer Reading Guide is coming!
We’re counting down the days until the Summer Reading Guide is here! It’s coming your way on Monday, May 24. Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club members and What Should I Read Next Patreon community supporters are invited to an exclusive Unboxing event on May 20, meaning they get to hear about the books I chose and why, along with getting an expanded version of the guide. You don’t want to miss out!
To get the guide when we release it on May 24, sign up below. We’ll also send you book lists and my newsletter with stories and content only for subscribers.
Don’t miss these posts:
- A trick for when you’re stuck in a reading rut. Such a simple tip for anyone who’s struggling to read right now.
- 10 beauty favorites I use (almost) every day. I look for reliable, dependable products that look good and go on easy so I can keep my morning makeup routine to three minutes or less.
- 15 Re-readable middle grade novels that adults will love, too. The comments are a treasure trove!
- May 20 at 12 p.m. and 7 pm ET: Summer Reading Guide Unboxing: MMD Book Club members and Patreon supporters get the first look at all the books in the MMD Summer Reading Guide! (Replay will be available for members who cannot attend live.)
- May 24: 2021 MMD Summer Reading Guide: We’re sending the annual Summer Reading Guide to all newsletter subscribers!
- May 24, 7 pm ET: In conversation with author Brooke Lauren Davis: Join me for an event at Carmichael’s Bookstore where I’ll interview author Brooke Lauren Davis about the release of her new book The Hollow Inside. More details here.
- May 25, 7 pm ET: Live chat with author Stacey Lee: Time for our MMD Book Club discussion of The Downstairs Girl with author Stacey Lee! (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
- June 22, 1 pm ET: Live chat with author Emily Henry: Time for our MMD Book Club discussion of People We Meet On Vacation with author Emily Henry! (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
You can find more upcoming events here.
Have a great weekend!