I hope you have a lovely weekend ahead of you. It’s a big weekend in my town—the Kentucky Derby is tomorrow! While things will look very different this year, I’m still making a Derby pie and buying mint for our lemonade (and maybe for juleps) to celebrate this weekend.
My favorite finds from around the web:
- ‘Barefoot Contessa’ Ina Garten Just Teased Her 13th Cookbook. Something to look forward to!
- Why Writing a Memoir is Like Making Kimchi. Fantastic interview with Michalle Zauner about her memoir Crying in H Mart, which I just loved.
- On sale now: this classic cardigan is a favorite spring piece, with more colors available here (I’m especially loving that cheerful green!).
- Why Am I Sp Bad At Typign? A fascinating piece for word nerds. (I hadn’t heard of “dystypia”or “dystextia” before.)
- This is my favorite Derby Pie recipe. I only make it once a year, but I really enjoy that one time!
- My local library system is considering eliminating fines, as so many other systems have already done.
- My whole family loved these slow cooker chicken caesar wraps from Damn Delicious.
- Finding a Book When You’ve Forgotten Its Title. NYPL has such helpful tips!
- Would your book-loving mother or mother-figure enjoy a copy of my book I’d Rather Be Reading for Mother’s Day? My local indie has signed copies!
- Here’s how to fix online harassment. No, seriously. “Using social media platforms right now is a little like being able to travel on roads only in a standard-issue open-air vehicle with no protection against people furiously slinging eggs, and given an air horn to signal for help (but no one comes).”
- In-Person Author Tours Won’t Be Back Anytime Soon. Sad, but it makes sense.
- I talked with Jennifer Rothschild on the 4:13 Podcast about how to stop overthinking.
The Summer Reading Guide is coming!
Did you see the big announcement yesterday? The tenth annual Summer Reading Guide is coming your way on Monday, May 24. And we have an exciting Unboxing event for our Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club members and What Should I Read Next Patreon community members on May 20. You don’t want to miss out!
To get the guide when we release it on May 24, sign up below. We’ll also send you book lists and my newsletter with stories and content only for subscribers.
Don’t miss these posts:
- My 8 favorite spring-to-summer transition pieces. These are some of the favorite pieces I rely on to gracefully carry me from spring into summer, no matter the weather.
- May 6, 1 pm ET: What’s your summer reading style? We want to help you think about what you want from your reading life in this season with tips for how to pinpoint what you like and strategically approach the Summer Reading Guide to get the most out of your summer reading. Get in that summer reading frame of mind — whatever that means to YOU! (This is an MMD Book Club event. Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
- May 20 at 12 p.m. and 7 pm ET: Summer Reading Guide Unboxing: MMD Book Club members and Patreon supporters get the first look at all the books in the MMD Summer Reading Guide! (Replay will be available for members who cannot attend live.)
- May 24: 2021 MMD Summer Reading Guide: We’re sending the 10th annual Summer Reading Guide to all newsletter subscribers by email!
- May 25, 7 pm ET: Live chat with author Stacey Lee: Time for our MMD Book Club discussion of The Downstairs Girl with author Stacey Lee! (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
You can find more upcoming events here.
Have a great weekend!