What’s in store for your weekend? Around here we’re celebrating a birthday and doing some much-needed spring cleaning, as well as (I hope) reading piles of great books. I have so many promising titles piling up on my TBR!
Speaking of books, I hope you caught the cover reveal for my book journal coming out this September. Thanks for your kind words, and to answer a few frequently-asked questions: it will lay flat when open, it’s available for preorder in the U.K. and also, through Book Depository, around the world, and signed preorders are available through my local indie. Thanks for your enthusiasm—it means the world!
My favorite finds from around the web:
- Elaborate ‘Pride and Prejudice’ cake is a sign of better times to come for Philly bakeshop. Truly impressive!
- I love this quote from Their Eyes Were Watching God! We included this print in our spring MMD Book Club boxes. (Carrot Top Paper Shop has a special deal on: today through Saturday only, use code SPRING30 to get 30% off all totes, stickers, and Literary Banners.)
- The Delight of Dining With Others. “This, I realize, is what I miss most about pre-pandemic life. It’s not just the act of going to the movies, or out to dinner or to a party, it’s the fact that by engaging in these things, we are reminded of how closely we are all connected.”
- The Performance of Racial Passing. Remarkable essay from Brit Bennett.
- This year marks the 10th anniversary of the MMD Summer Reading Guide! Would you take a moment to share your favorite Summer Reading Guide memory?
- Twyla Tharp Never Stops. I am fascinated by her career and approach to her work.
- Independent bookstore owners look back at a year spent trying to stay afloat. Not all of them succeeded.
- I couldn’t resist this Plant Lady mug!
- Yo-Yo Ma Plays Impromptu Cello Concert at Covid-19 Vaccination Clinic After Getting Second Dose. Lovely.
- Book review star ratings as Pride & Prejudice (2005) quotes. Short and sweet and hysterical. Well-worth your 15 seconds!
- How a British Gardening Show Got People Through the Pandemic. Have you watched?
- 2021 Audie Award Winners Announced. So many of my favorites are on this list!
- The sale on my first book Reading People is almost over! Get the ebook for $1.99 at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, or wherever ebooks are sold.
Don’t miss these posts:
- 8 great Audible alternatives for audiobook listeners. Many readers want to try audiobooks, but it’s easy to be intimidated by the number of choices we have now.
- 11 books that are better in the spring. These books have themes that coincide with earth’s bursting to life after a long, cold winter: books about renewal and rebirth, about second chances and making things new.
- March 31, 1 pm ET: Their Eyes Were Watching God discussion: Time for our MMD Book Club discussion of Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston! (This will be available as a replay for members who cannot attend live.)
- April 6, 7 pm ET: 12 Things Readers Should Know About Publishing: This is an MMD Book Club event. This year in publishing has been a doozy. The game has changed, but here is what you as a reader need to know. It’s no coincidence we’re doing this the month before the Summer Reading Guide comes out … (Classes are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
- April 28, 7 pm ET: Live chat with author Lily King: Time for our Book Club discussion of Writers & Lovers with author Lily King! This is an MMD Book Club event. (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
You can find more upcoming events here.
Have a great weekend!