Happy weekend, readers! I hope you have something to look forward to these next few days. I plan to spend some time outdoors and finally get all the houseplants I recently moved indoors settled into their new spaces for the winter.
Good book news this week: Don’t Overthink It hit the Wall Street Journal bestseller list, and it was nominated for a Goodreads Choice Award. Please pop over to Goodreads to vote—your vote goes a long way toward helping your fellow readers discover new-to-them books.
Book voting isn’t the only voting happening in the U.S. right now, of course. Vote.org can help you find where to vote, who’s on your ballot, where to find a dropbox, and more.
My favorite finds from around the web:
- A Reset for Library E-books. Fingers crossed libraries and publishers figure out a sustainable solution.
- Our winter book box is ready to roll! We’re once again partnering with St Louis-area indie The Novel Neighbor to bring you our Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club Winter Book Box. We’ll share more about our upcoming season on the blog next week, but in the meantime, click here for more about our winter season.
- Many thanks for your Secondhand Lions recommendation in the comments section here. My whole family enjoyed it this past weekend. (I can totally see why you named it a good pick for fans of The Princess Bride.)
- When You Don’t Know What to Do, Make Tea. I love my morning coffee but I also love a good cuppa.
- Speaking of tea: hot cinnamon spice continues to be my favorite, but the one I drink the most (because podcasting) is Throat Coat.
- Influencers Are the Retailers of the 2020s. “Influencers are like the new catalogue.” I hadn’t thought about it this way before. Fascinating.
- New to audiobooks? Get 3 audiobooks with a 30-day free trial at Audiobooks.com.
- Watch Chadwick Boseman in Netflix’s First Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom Trailer. His final role. It’s so heartbreaking.
- This 2004 essay remains the best piece I’ve ever read about Halloween, but it needs a serious gut punch/mascara-running-down-your-face warning.
- 9 Books To Help You Understand Your Anxiety. Thank you to the reader who let me know Don’t Overthink It was included in this list!
- The Elimination Diet for Skin. With all the conflicting advice out there, this is good to consider.
- How One Book Biz Insider Is Getting Books to Prisoners. What a great program!
- I Could Never Get Grandma’s Thanksgiving Dressing Quite Right—Until She Was Gone. “Back then I hadn’t yet learned that the most important thing about cooking for other people is the joy your food can bring them.”
- I got a kick out of hearing this from Cynthia: “This list and the comments are bringing me joy. I’ve got lots of new things to try. Thanks everyone!”
Don’t miss these posts:
- Eleanor Roosevelt’s five ways to take part in politics. Her advice is still timely.
- 16 Shakespeare-Inspired Books for Readers of All Ages. You can’t go wrong with the Bard.
Have a great weekend!