We’re kicking off our Summer of Experts in Book Club this Tuesday, and I can’t wait to embark on this new bookish adventure.
Book Club is the place where we’re learning to read better, together. We read a monthly selection plus host regular classes and educational content that helps us get more out of our reading lives. I’m so excited about what’s in store for the season to come—and today I’m showing you what that will look like this summer, in detail.
Our Summer of Experts
At the beginning of each season, I often share which books we’ll be reading together, But some of you might not realize that there is so much more that goes on in Book Club than the books we read. In addition to reading three great books together, we’re also lining up great educational content all summer long.
I’ve dubbed this our “season of experts,” because we’re talking to more than a half dozen people with all different kinds of bookish expertise. They’ll share tips, tricks, and behind-the-scenes takes on their corner of the reading world. This season we hope to indulge your readerly curiosity, build your bookish skill set, and teach you how to get more out of your reading life.
Last week, I had a conversation with a reader who loved being a part of our monthly live sessions, but she didn’t always want to read the book or talk about them. She wondered if she could come and be a part of the Book Club, even if she just wanted to take advantage of the bookish education going on.
The answer is YES!
If Modern Mrs. Darcy has been called a “lifestyle blog for nerds,” then the Book Club is our clubhouse.
I’m happy to share our calendar with you, with some future dates still TBD. It looks long, because it is: because so many readers LOVED the regular weekly rhythm of Book School this past winter, we’ve aimed to bring you regular weekly content for the summer season as well.
- June 4 – 8 p.m. Opening, owning, and operating an independent bookstore with Holland Saltsman
- June 12 – 12 p.m. Getting your hands on Advanced Review Copies with Rachael Robinson and Charlotte Wilson
- June 18 – 12 p.m. Book Club 101, a visual walk-through the Book Club site so you can get the most out of the features and forums
- June 25 – 7 p.m. Jennifer Robson joins us to discuss her book The Gown
- Early July. Discussion: The Best Book You’ve Read This Summer
- Early July: Launching a book box subscription and literary matchmaking with Brandy O’Bryant
- Week of July 22: What it takes to “launch” a book with Anna LeBaron
- Late July: Book Club discussion of our July pick Garlic and Sapphires
- Early August: Book Club 101
- August 14 – 12 p.m. How to take great book photos with Brandi O’Donnell of @LollipopsandLyrics
- Week of August 19 How to lead a great book discussion, online or offline, with Kari Sweeney and Alix Halloran
- Week of August 26 Book Club discussion of our August pick Pride & Prejudice
Want to join us this summer?
This is going to be a great season. I hope you’ll join me and your fellow readers for what I expect will be our best summer yet.
Happy summer, and happy reading!
P.S. – You can still get access to Book School and any of our author chats any time by becoming a part of the Modern Mrs. Darcy Book Club. We’re not offering these classes in our shop, but we record and send all of these videos out to Book Club members, so if you can’t make a live session, you have access to watch the experts and any of our educational content any time.