Today’s guests Brenna Sherrill & Ryan Pait describe themselves as platonic soulmates, book-loving best friends who grew up together, went to school together, read together (sometimes out loud!) and even live together.
I had the pleasure of meeting them both when I hosted a conversation with Celeste Ng in at the Louisville Free Public Library recently. It was such a great night, and you should know there’s over an HOUR of audio from my live, sold-out conversation with Celeste on our Patreon audio feed as of yesterday, so you can sign up for instant access!
Back to Brenna and Ryan — today we’re chatting about a truly magical college class, Ryan’s most embarrassing moment meeting a literary icon, the book Ann Patchett thinks EVERYONE should read, and of course I’m recommending three books I think they’ll enjoy reading together and discussing to death, because that’s their style.
Before we get to the episode, a little more about Patreon. Becoming a patron means LOADS of additional audio content, including weekly bonus episodes of One Great Book, monthly behind-the-scenes episodes, audio of certain live events, like my conversation with Celeste Ng, and now we can add FREE AUDIOBOOKS to that list! For a limited time we’ve partnered with Libro.fm to give all Hardback-tier supporters a free audiobook! Summer is made for audiobook listening, so this is the perfect time for you to become a new patron.
And now… let’s get to it!
Click here to read the full episode transcription (opens in a new tab).
Books mentioned in this episode:
• author Chelsea Handler (try Lies that Chelsea Handler Told Me)
• An American Marriage, by Tayari Jones
• The Harry Potter series, by J. K. Rowling
• Ragtime, by E.L. Doctorow
• Dracula, by Bram Stoker
♥ White Teeth, by Zadie Smith
♥ The Kiss Quotient, by Helen Hoang
• The Bride Test, by Helen Hoang
♥ Middlesex, by Jeffrey Eugenides
♥ Song of Solomon, by Toni Morrison
♥ If Beale Street Could Talk, by James Baldwin
♥ Mrs. Fletcher, by Tom Perrotta
▵ Lincoln in the Bardo, by George Saunders
▵ Persuasion, by Jane Austen
♥♥ A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty Smith
♥♥ The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, by Taylor Jenkins Reid
♥♥ The Collected Poems of Edna St. Vincent Millay, by Edna St. Vincent Millay
▵▵ The Marriage Plot, by Jeffrey Eugenides
• She Would be King, by Wayétu Moore
• author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (try Purple Hibiscus)
• Red at the Bone, by Jacqueline Woodson
• Brown Girl Dreaming, by Jacqueline Woodson
• Another Brooklyn, by Jacqueline Woodson
• Harbor Me, by Jacqueline Woodson
• Five-Carat Soul, by James McBride
• The Color of Water: A Black Man’s Tribute to His White Mother, by James McBride
What do YOU think Brenna and Ryan should read together next?