A request I hear a LOT from WSIRN listeners is “can we have another episode about audiobooks??” I couldn’t agree more, because audiobooks are an important part of my life too. So today I brought in Michele Cobb, publisher at Audiofile magazine, to not only help me recommend audiobooks for YOU, but to match me with MY next great audiobook read.
We’re chatting today about the marriage of a great book with a great narrator, visual and auditory learning styles, jumping off points if you’re still on the fence about reading with your ears, and the key to some truly fantastic and FREE audiobooks you can get your hands on this Summer.
Let’s get to it!
Click here to read the full episode transcription (opens in a new tab).
Books mentioned in this episode:
• Swing, by Kwame Alexander
• Blink and Caution, by Tim Wynne-Jones
• The Crossover, by Kwame Alexander
• The Golden Day, by Ursula Dubosarsky
• Gulp, by Mary Roach
• Spill, by Leigh Fondakowski
• Becoming, by Michelle Obama
• Blindness, by Jose Saramago
• The Huntress, by Kate Quinn
• The Song of Achilles, by Madeline Miller
• Circe, by Madeline Miller
• Code Name Verity, by Elizabeth Wein
• Make Trouble: Standing Up, Speaking Out, and Finding the Courages to Lead, by Cecile Richards and Lauren Peterson
• The Silence of the Girls, by Pat Barker
• March, by Geraldine Brooks
• Echo, by Pam Munoz Ryan
• Symphony for the City of the Dead: Dmitri Shostakovich and the Siege of Leningrad, by M. T. Andersen
• Calypso, by David Sedaris
• A Wolf at the Table, by Augusten Burroughs
Dry, by Augusten Burroughs
• My Southern Journey,: True Stories from the Heart of the South, by Rick Bragg
• Empire Falls, by Richard Russo
• Daisy Jones & the Six, by Taylor Jenkins Reid
• Amadeus, by Peter Shaffer
• Born A Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood, by Trevor Noah
• Power of One, by Bryce Courtenay
• Hum if You Don’t Know the Words, by Bianca Marais
• Once Upon a River, by Diane Setterfield
• Roots, by Alex Haley
• Middlemarch, by George Eliot
• The Master and Commander series, by Patrick O’Brien
• Ender’s Game, by Orson Scott Card
• The Audiobook SYNC program from Audiofile magazine
• WSIRN Ep 179, with guest Shannan Malone
• WSIRN Ep 54, with guest Melody Skiles
• WSIRN Ep 31, with guest Adam Verner
• The Daisy Jones & the Six episode of Behind the Mic podcast
• The Odyssey Award for outstanding children’s and YA audiobooks
• Song Exploder podcast
Thanks this week’s sponsors:
The Great Courses Plus is the streaming learning service that recruits some of the best college professors to teach in depth, relatable courses. Start your Free Trial and get 50% off your monthly plan now.
ThirdLove knows there’s a perfect bra for everyone, so right now they are offering WSIRN listeners 15% off your first order!
With 70% of the US workforce on LinkedIn, it’s the best way to get your job opportunity in front of more of the right people. Visit LinkedIn.com/READNEXT and get $50 off your first job posting.
What’s your can’t-miss-it audiobook experience? Let us know in the comments below!