Alabama reader Shannan Malone has broad taste and high standards, and when it comes to new releases, even authors she’s loved in the past don’t get a free pass… the new book has to earn her love. So today’s episode goes out to all you eclectic readers who love hopping between genres.
We’re covering the struggle of pinpointing what you dislike about a book that everyone else thinks is amazing, awkward characters for the introverted reader, Shannon’s book club that connects moms near and far through literature, and of course much, much more.
Let’s get to it!
Click here to read the full episode transcription (opens in a new tab).
Books mentioned in this episode:
• Eat Pray Love: One Woman’s Search for Everything Across Italy, India, and Indonesia, by Elizabeth Gilbert
• Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking, by Susan Cain
• Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott
• Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen
• Everything, Everything, by Nicola Yoon
• What Alice Forgot, by Liane Moriarty
• Big Little Lies, by Liane Moriarty
♥ The Lost Book of the Grail, by Charlie Lovett
♥ The Bookman’s Tale: A Novel of Obsession, by Charlie Lovett
♥ The Almost Sisters, by Joshilyn Jackson
• Gods in Alabama, by Joshilyn Jackson
♥ Circe, by Madeline Miller
• The Song of Achilles, by Madeline Miller
• The Odyssey, by Homer (translated by Emily Wilson)
▵ The Shadow of the Wind, by Carlos Ruiz Zafón
• The Storied Life of A.J. Fickry, by Gabrielle Zevin
• The Next Right Thing: A Simple, Soulful Practice for Making Life Decisions, by Emily P. Freeman
• The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing, by Marie Kondō
• Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up, by Marie Kondō
• The Ensemble, by Aja Gabel
• Daisy Jones & the Six, by Taylor Jenkins Reid
• The Mother-in-Law, by Sally Hepworth
• Calling Me Home, by Julie Kibler
• Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows, by Balli Kaur Jaswal
• The Unlikely Adventures of the Shergill Sisters, by Balli Kaur Jaswal
Thanks to today’s sponsors:
Openfit is a brand new, super simple streaming service that allows you to work-out from the comfort of your living room in as little as 10 minutes a day. WSIRN listeners get a special extended 30-day free trial membership to Openfit, when you text READ to 303030
Prose is the only hair care that is 100% custom made for your hair, your lifestyle, and your preferences. Get started RIGHT NOW with $10 off your first order.
Ritual’s Essentials have the nutrients most of us don’t get enough of —all in their clean, absorbable forms. Start your ritual today and get 10% off during your first three months.
What do you think Shannan should read next? Let us know in the comments!