After a year of focusing on reading over 100 books while recovering from a running injury, today’s guest Natalie Van Waning is sprinting enthusiastically toward many readers’ worst nightmare: Looooooong books. When I say long, I mean use them as a doorstop, tweak your wrist getting them off the shelf, 40-hours-on-Audible books. Natalie asked me to help her focus on quality instead of quantity, so I’m all geared up to recommend sweeping multi-generational sagas, tour-guide novels, and heart-tugging family stories.
Let’s get to it!
You can connect with Natalie on her blog.
Books mentioned in this episode:
Some links are affiliate links. More details here.
If you'd like to support your local indie, check out Indiebound.com. And by all means, go grab one of these from your local library!
• Author Rick Bragg (try My Southern Journey: True Stories from the Heart of the South)
• Walkable City Rules: 101 Steps to Making Better Places, by Jeff Speck
• Before We Were Yours, by Lisa Wingate
• The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas
• Outlander, by Diana Gabaldon
• The Heart’s Invisible Furies, by John Boyne
• The Harry Potter series, by J. K. Rowling
♥ Beach Music, by Pat Conroy
♥ Middlesex, by Jeffery Eugenides
♥ The Address, by Fiona Davis
• The Masterpiece, by Fiona Davis
• The Dollhouse, by Fiona Davis
▵ Mrs. Dalloway, by Virginia Wolf
• Ulysses, by James Joyce
• Climbing the Stairs, by Padma Venkatraman
• Family Poems for Every Day of the week: Poemas Familiares Para Cada Dia de la Semana, by Francisco X. Alarcón
• Ahimsa, by Supriya Kelkar
• Pachinko, by Min Jin Lee
• The Island of Sea Women, by Lisa See
• The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver
• A Prayer for Owen Meany, by John Irving
• The World According to Garp, by John Irving
• I Know This Much is True, by Wally Lamb
• She’s Come Undone, by Wally Lamb
• Is listening to an audiobook "cheating"? via Daniel Willingham
• WSIRN Ep 134: Audiobooks for the whole family to binge, with Ben Huntington
Thank you to today's sponsors:
PrepDish is the healthy, whole food based meal planning subscription that delivers weekly meal plans right to your inbox. Go to PrepDish.com/READNEXT to check out all of the meal plans and to start your free 2-week trial.
Better health doesn’t happen overnight. Help fill the gaps in your diet with Essential for Women—a small step that helps support a healthy foundation for your body. Visit ritual.com/READNEXT to start your ritual today.
Whether you’ve got sensitive skin or just don’t want a bunch of questionable ingredients on your body, Kopari’s deodorant offers a cleaner option that works just as well. Visit KopariBeauty.com/READNEXT to make the safe switch today, and save five-dollars off your first order when you subscribe!
What do YOU think Natalie would enjoy reading next? And how do you feel about looooooong books? Tell us in the comments section!