Meet Ben Huntington, a young audiobook fanatic who chews through stories at an exhilarating rate - we’re talking reading the Hobbit in one week! Today I’ll be recommending a ton of great audiobook series to keep his reading list full all summer, plus we talk about the allure of a good whodunit, ethical questions that arise from reading the Hunger Games, fantasy that's a little too fantastical for Ben's taste, and lots more.
This is an episode the whole family can enjoy, full of books perfect for road trip entertainment! And stay tuned till the end, because I have some follow up commentary from Ben and his mom.
• author Kwame Alexander (try The Crossover: Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• The Hobbit, by J. R. R. Tolkein (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Charlotte’s Web, by E. B. White (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• The Adventure of Sherlock Holmes, by Arthur Conan Doyle (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• The Penderwicks at Last, by Jeanne Birdsall (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• The Hunger Games series, by Suzanne Collins (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Story of the World, by Susan Wise Bauer (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Spy Camp, by Stuart Gibbs (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Operation Redwood, by S. Terrell French (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• The Redwall series, by Brian Jacques (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• The Gregor the Overlander series, by Suzanne Collin (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica series, by James A. Owen (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• The Vanderbeekers of 141st Street, by Karina Yan Glaser (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• The Saturdays, by Elizabeth Enright (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• The Moffats, by Eleanor Estes (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief, by Wendelin Van Draanen (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Flora & Ulysses, by Kate DiCamillo (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Because of Winn Dixie, by Kate DiCamillo (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• The Green Ember series, by S. D. Smith (Amazon)
• Greenglass House, by Kate Milford (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• City of Ember, by Jeanne DuPrau (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• Holes, by Louis Sachar (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
• The Percy Jackson series, by Rick Riordan (Amazon | Barnes and Noble)
If you'd like to learn more about dyslexia:
• Maryanne Wolf's must-watch video Embracing Dyslexia: The Interviews
• The Yale Center for Dyslexia and Creativity focuses attention on the strength and creativity of dyslexic brains.
• The Learning Disabilities Association of America provides resources for adults living with dyslexia / other learning disabilities.
• The International Dyslexia Association educates about dyslexia issues in education and public policy.
• Understood.org provides a fast overview and resources for parents if they suspect their child may be dyslexic.
• The Dyslexia Empowerment Plan: A Blueprint for Renewing Your Child's Confidence and Love of Learning, by Ben Foss
• Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain, by Maryanne Wolf
• Headstrong Nation provides resources for both adults with dyslexia and parents of children with dyslexia.
Readers, the new 2018 Summer Reading Guide is now live! This is my personal, hand-curated collection of 25 of the season’s best reads. I’ve read and loved every one, and I tell you what you need to know so YOU can decide which books are right for your summer reading list. Don't miss it.
Thank you to today's sponsors: ModCloth’s signature label is designed by women for women and come in a full-size range, from XXS to 4X, and their team of ModStylists is there when you need them to hook you up with complimentary sizing and styling help. To get 15% off YOUR purchase of $100 or more, go to MODCLOTH.com and enter code READNEXT at checkout. Hurry this offer expires on August 4th, (2018)! Blinkist is the only app that takes thousands of the best-selling nonfiction books and distills them down to their most impactful elements, so you can read or listen to them in under 15 minutes, all on your phone. Right now Blinkist has a special offer for WSIRN listeners! Go to Blinkist.com/READNEXT to start your free trial or get three months off your yearly plan when you join today.
Sun Basket offers 18 quick, healthy recipes every week, including Paleo, Gluten-Free, Vegan, and calorie-conscious options, all delivered to your door with organic produce and clean ingredients.
Go to SunBasket.com/READNEXT today to learn more and get $35 off your first order!
What audiobook series do YOU think Ben should try out next? Do your kids have something to recommend? Let us know in the comments!