It's Tuesday, which means a new episode of What Should I Read Next!
Today I'm talking with Andrea Cumbo-Floyd. Andrea is a writer, teacher, editor, and farmer based in Charlottesville, Virginia. ("Sometimes more of one of those than the other," she says.) She is the author Steele Secrets, Writing Day In and Day Out, and The Slaves Have Names.
Andi and I discuss strong female characters, genre-bending novels, and reading diverse books. Her favorites are all over the place, and she has strong feelings about her hated pick, which makes for a fun conversation.
Books discussed in this episode:
Some links are affiliate links. More details here.
• Head Off and Split by Nikki Finney
• Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor
• The Cloister Walk by Kathleen Norris
• The Quotidian Mysteries by Kathleen Norris
• Ulysses by James Joyce
• The Dead by James Joyce
• Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson
• Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry
• The Long Quiche Goodbye by Avery Aames
• When Women Were Birds by Terry Tempest Williams
• Refuge by Terry Tempest Williams
• The Killing Moon by Nora Jemison
• Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler
• Kindred by Octavia Butler
• The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
• Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
• Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
• The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Also mentioned in this episode: