It’s the first bonus episode of What Should I Read Next!
Today I’m talking with Marybeth Whalen and Ariel Lawhon of SheReads.org, an online reading site and book club for women. Under Marybeth and Ariel’s leadership, She Reads does a terrific job of highlighting excellent titles you’ve never heard of.
These women are writers as well as curators and reviewers: Ariel is the author of Flight of Dreams and The Wife, the Maid, and the Mistress. (Loved them both.) Marybeth is the author of The Things We Wish Were True, coming September 1. (Can’t wait to read it!)
This is a special episode: it’s WSIRN’s first freewheeling conversation about book recommendations and the reading life. Anne talks with Marybeth and Ariel about how they became a go-to book resource for thousands of readers, why you have to be a little bossy to recommend books (and why Marybeth and Ariel are overqualified for the job), and how they keep reading FUN even when—and especially when—it’s a job.
Books discussed in this episode:
Some links are affiliate links. More details here.
• Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter
• The Help by Katherine Stockett
• Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
• The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
• The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
• The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
• The Precious One by Marisa de los Santos
• The Boys in the Trees by Carly Simon (audio edition)
• Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand In the Sun and Be Your Own Person by Shonda Rhimes
• All of Us and Everything by Bridget Asher
• No One Knows by J. T. Ellison
• Last Ride to Graceland by Kim Wright
Also mentioned in this episode:
• Why the 40-something woman is at risk of an affair by Jane Green
• The She Reads book club at SheReads.org
• When our selection process gets personal by Marybeth Whalen