WSIRN Ep 54: What Should I LISTEN TO Next?

WSIRN Ep 54: What Should I LISTEN TO Next?

Your Tuesday book-matchmaking fix is here, dear listeners!

November truly is a month of extra special WSIRN episodes - last week, we had 5 days of episodes all about the joy of children's literature (check it out, if you haven't already!) and today we're back to literary matchmaking, with listener Melodee Skiles here to representing all the avid audiobook lovers who want to know what to LISTEN to next!

Melodee is a stay-at-home mom who owns an online literature tutorial business. Books are (clearly) her bag, and while she's taking a short break from tutoring, she wants to revitalize her love of literature by reading outside the bounds of the texts she teaches at work. Like many of us, some of Melodee's warmest memories are of her parents reading aloud to her, so today we're delving into what her favorites have been, what her least favorites have been, and what brilliant audiobook discoveries are right around the corner. (Wink, wink.)

melodee

I highly recommend Audible as an accessible, bountiful resource for audiobooks online. Right now, you can get your first audiobook FREE, along with a free 30-day trial. Go to http://www.audibletrial.com/ReadNext to get your free download.

If you're reading this by email, click over to the blog to listen to this episode.

Books discussed in this episode:

The Winds of War, by Herman Wouk
The Martian, by Andy Weir
The Professor & The Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester
The Lake House, by Kate Morton
The Secret Keeper, by Kate Morton
Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline
A Man Called Ove, by Fredrik Backman
Three Sisters, Three Queens, by Philippa Gregory
Americanah, by Chimimanda Ngozi Adichie
Brown Girl Dreaming, by Jacqueline Woodson
You’ll Grow Out Of It, by Jessi Klein

Also mentioned in this episode:

15 audiobooks that enhance your listening experience
A trick to save big on audiobooks (this is the post where I explain how Whispersync deals work)
• Modern Mrs Darcy's great kindle deals page

Sponsors:

Ibotta (PRNewsFoto/Ibotta)

Real cash back every time you shop -- you've gotta ibotta! Download ibotta right now, free from the app store, and enter READ as your referral code to get $10 just for trying it!

love-the-wild-logo-b

LoveTheWild is a deliciously sustainable fish company with a wild side. Swim to LoveTheWild.com, look for the podcast callout and enter the code READNEXT to save $5 on your purchase.

0012015-totes

With Neverwet coating and prices starting just over $20, you should keep a totes Titan umbrella in your car, at home or at the office, so you’re always prepared. Go to Totes.com and use the code READNEXT to get 50% off your totes umbrella today.

Alright, audiobook lovers, what do YOU want to recommend to Melodee? Let us know in the comments!

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestEmail this to someonePrint this page

57 comments

1. Lori says:

I just listened to the podcast over thanksgiving break and am so glad I did! I love audible and find that I listen to more than I physically read lately. And I don’t mind putting in the time on the longer books as long as the narrator is interesting. I just finished book 2 of the Discovery of Witches trilogy and so far they are great. A friend recommended them to me a long time ago but I didn’t think I would like them so I held off, but I’m glad I finally took the chance.

2. Katie Toffey says:

I am a huge fan of audio books. When my children were young we were always listening to books on our way to and from their school (we live in the country and spend lots of hours in the car). Our favorite series was Harry Potter – Jim Dale is the narrator and he is magnificent!!! For more Jim Dale – try The Night Circus. Here are some more of my favorite audio books:

1. All of the Fredrik Backman books (A Man Called Ove) – the other 2 are equally as wonderful- My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She’s Sorry and Brit Marie Was Here
    2. Ordinary Grace
    3. The Boston Girl
    4. Angela’s Ashes
    5. Year of Yes
    6. We Never Asked For Wings
    7. Rules of Civility
    8. Call the Midwife
    9. One Plus One
    10. What Alice Forget

I also agree with Ready Player One and All the Light We Cannot See

Happy listening. Great episode.

3. I’m really excited to check out The Professor and the Madman!!

I also just wanted to pop in and say, I really love it when the show notes have the book titles in the order they are mentioned on the show, rather than alphabetical. It really helps me in remembering which ones I was interested in checking out! Thanks for going back to it!

Your blog and podcast have really helped me to find my reading groove again, after having lost it for a bit. 🙂

4. Diane says:

Hi Anne and Melodee,
    I heard about The Alienist by Caleb Carr years ago and Because it is a long story (listened on cassette!) and I was a busy mom, I ended up getting the audio version from my library. It is an extremely compelling serial murder mystery based in truth during Teddy Roosevelt’s time. Seriously a great listen.
    I also tackled Anna Karenina on audio. With all the character and cultural-time period development required, it was a timesaver and a joy to listen to.
    Great podcast! Thanks

5. Can anyone recommend any great non-fiction audible titles?
    I can’t listen to fiction but I love listening to non-fiction. And I’ll go first – I thoroughly recommend Stories I only tell my friends – Rob Lowe for a great audible experience.

• Cassy says:

When I listen to books, I lean towards non-fiction as well. Some that I’ve liked are ‘Year to Yes’ by Shona Rimes, ‘Lawrence in Arabia’ by Scott Anderson, ‘The Girls of Atomic City’ by Denise Kiernan, and ‘Boys Adrift’ by Leonard Sax.

6. Jennifer C says:

For 2016, the audio book I enjoyed the most was “The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder” by Rebecca Wells. The setting is Louisiana, and this lyrical reading was captivating. I also enjoyed “Call the Midwife,” which I see has been previously recommended. “Small Great Things” by Jodi Picoult is read by three different voices which gives an impression of realism.

7. Sam says:

Try your library’s Overdrive collection for free audio books! It helps me save so much money, as I typically finish an audio book each week.

8. Jo Skidmore says:

Fredrick Backman – my ALL TIME FAVORITE! I loved A Man Called Ove audiobook! But actually, my favorite Backman audiobook is My Grandmother Told Me to Tell You She Was Sorry. Brit-Marie was Here was also good, but, My Grandmother.. is still my favorite.

If you like Frederick Backman listen to The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out a Window and Disappeared – Jonas Jonasson. Swedish as well and just as charming as the Backman novels!

FYI – They made a movie from A Man Called Ove. I was not totally impressed by the Ove movie, but the highest grossing Swedish movie is The Hundred Year Old Man… We’ll see how that measures up.

9. Jo Skidmore says:

Killed me that I missed this one on Audible Daily Deal since I’ve had my eye on this book forever. I listened to a sample and I thought I’m not going to do kindle + audio ready because I was not totally impressed by the narration – maybe I was wrong however, I’m hoping it ill show up on daily deals again soon.

• Jo Skidmore says:

Referencing • The Professor & The Madman: A Tale of Murder, Insanity and the Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Simon Winchester