It's Tuesday, which means a new episode of What Should I Read Next!
Today I'm talking with Andrea Cumbo-Floyd. Andrea is a writer, teacher, editor, and farmer based in Charlottesville, Virginia. ("Sometimes more of one of those than the other," she says.) She is the author Steele Secrets, Writing Day In and Day Out, and The Slaves Have Names.
Andi and I discuss strong female characters, genre-bending novels, and reading diverse books. Her favorites are all over the place, and she has strong feelings about her hated pick, which makes for a fun conversation.
Books discussed in this episode:
Some links are affiliate links, which means at no extra cost to you, you support what we do here on What Should I Read Next. More details here.
• Head Off and Split by Nikki Finney
• Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor
• The Cloister Walk by Kathleen Norris
• The Quotidian Mysteries by Kathleen Norris
• Ulysses by James Joyce
• The Dead by James Joyce
• Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson
• Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry
• The Long Quiche Goodbye by Avery Aames
• When Women Were Birds by Terry Tempest Williams
• Refuge by Terry Tempest Williams
• The Killing Moon by Nora Jemison
• Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler
• Kindred by Octavia Butler
• The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
• Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
• Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
• The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Also mentioned in this episode:
This episode is sponsored by Book of the Month.
Every month a panel of five judges each chooses a book they love; subscribers pick one from that curated list and get it shipped straight to their door with free shipping. It's a fun, convenient, and affordable way to discover books you might not find otherwise.
If you're not interested in any of the selections, you can skip that month.
Book of the Month has a special deal for What Should I Read Next listeners: get 50% off a new 3-month subscription with the code READNEXT. That means you get 3 new hardcovers for $7.50 each.
Can't pick just one? Subscribers can order additional titles each month for $9.99 each. (Free shipping is always included.)
Try Audible for yourself:
Like the podcast? Your review helps the new show so much!
- Tap/click iTunes or App Store.
- Search for "What Should I Read Next"
- Tap/click on the square picture of the book + headphones
- If you're not signed in, tap Use Existing Apple ID. (If you don't have an Apple ID, tape Create New Apple ID.)
- Select a star rating, enter a title, write your short review, and tap/click Send.