I’ve worked from home for many years, but it’s different these days. Once upon a time, my work-from-home life style regularly took me out of the home. But now I’m home literally all the time: no coffee meetings, no library runs, no trips.
This change of circumstance has changed the way I work, of course, but I’ve been surprised at just how much it’s affected which clothes I choose to wear every day. I thought you may enjoy a peek at the items I’m turning to on the regular this fall.
1. Comfortable denim. Jeans + a top is my #1 go-to outfit combo these days. I know some people don’t love to wear pants with zippers and buttons but I do love my go-to jeans. This isn’t that different from last year for me, but these days the overall vibe is definitely more casual. My hardest-working pairs are these dark skinnies and these lighter crops, both from Madewell.
(Though honestly, these days I’m more likely than ever to postpone changing out of my morning workout clothes till after lunch, which means I often spend a huge chunk of the day in leggings and a sweatshirt.)
2. Easy-going t-shirts. I’ve never spent more weekday time in comfy tshirts, because in my previous meeting- and travel-life I’d change out of tees and into “nicer” apparel by 10:00 a.m.
Basic v-necks are my favorite, and my staples are the organic cotton v-neck from Everlane and the premium slub v-neck from American Giant. (I first discovered American Giant when they sponsored WSIRN: use the code READ to get 15% off your first order. I don’t get anything except thanks when you use that link, but I always want to pass on the savings when I can.)
There are also a few cute seasonal tees I LOVE and wear in heavy rotation from J.Crew, like tiny lemons, skiers, and these darling flowers.
3. Zoom shirts. You know what I mean: collared shirts and blouses that look a wee bit nicer than a tee, even if they still pair beautifully with jeans. My faves tend to be gently embellished, well-draped tops in neutral colors like white, navy, and chambray.
4. Cute and comfortable sweaters OR easy-to-layer cardigans. Layers are essential for chilly days, whether I’m sitting at my desk or out in the neighborhood (or maybe even as far afield as Trader Joe’s!).
Last year my friend introduced me to the Barefoot Dreams circle cardigan and I looove it (I have two), and I also rely on these Zoom-ready sweater blazers when I want to cuddle up and still look camera-ready.
5. Comfortable shoes. Notice a theme here? If I’m knocking about the house getting work done, comfort is everything. Depending on the weather and how much I’ll be walking (because I do actually leave the house to walk Daisy), it’s a rare day when I’m not in Allbirds wool runners, classic Blundstones, or my long-loved Tieks.
6. Mascara, lipstick, earrings, and perfume. Nowadays it rarely matters what I look like, but it matters how I feel. These tiny things take a total of 90 seconds and make me feel like I actually got dressed for the day:
- earrings: I got my go-to hoops (pictured above) at a local shop, these are similar.
- lipsticks: I love a bright lip for the morale boost and for the camera, when needed: my favorite shades are right here.
- perfume: I’m surprised at how much I appreciate a little scent even when I never leave home. Right now for daily wear I love the understated scents from Juliet Has a Gun.
- mascara: I don’t have a favorite (though if you do, I’d love to hear in comments); I’m working my way through a backlog of samples. They’re all fine but none are AMAZING.
Do you find yourself dressing differently this year? What are your current wardrobe staples? We’d love to hear about your favorites in the comments section.
P.S. 10 work from home tips to help you stay present and productive, and the rule of three for getting dressed. Plus 9 (mostly) little things I’m loving for early fall.