The pool’s been open for two weeks and I’m just now getting around to ordering a swimsuit, even though I knew the elastic on my go-to suit (shown here) was shot.
Our May was insane, and listening to my kids count down to pool opening day was like watching a train wreck: you can see the collision coming but you don’t have time to slow down. Or in this case, to buy a swimsuit.
Hmm. I just used a train wreck analogy in a post about swimsuit shopping. Sounds about right.
I’ve usually worn a two piece, but this year Silas is learning to swim and he’s squirmy and grabby. I’ll be spending a lot of time in the water (and not just in the lounge chair) and I want a cute suit that will stay in place.
And I’m seriously wondering if I’m the only woman on the planet who thinks this, but tank suits are so much more flattering than tankinis: tankinis put a big line at my waist where I don’t want a line to be. I limited my search to one-pieces this year.
Here’s what I’m eyeing:
1. DKNY one shoulder maillot. ($96.)This style is so flattering, but I fear for my tan lines.
2. J. Crew ruched femme tank. ($98.) A classic.
3. MICHAEL Michael Kors linked shirred maillot. ($112.) This is my favorite color EVER.
4. Badgley Mischka draped front maillot. ($71.) Hard to beat a flattering suit in basic black.
I just ordered #1, #3, and #4, (all from Zappos, so it’s easy to try them at home and return the rejects) but they haven’t come yet. I love J. Crew (and they do make fabulous swimwear), but slower shipping + no sales right now makes that pretty grey suit the last place contender. (Maybe I can snatch one up for next year during their swim sale?)
I also have very sensitive skin, which means a rash guard is a necessity. I’m so thankful they’ve become trendy in recent years—it makes finding a cute one much easier! I’m eyeing these:
1. Pret-á-Surf for J. Crew navy stripe rash guard. My favorite, hands down. But $225. (Not happening.)
2. O’Neil skins long sleeve crew. ($39.) A basic with great reviews.
3. Lands’ End Polka dot crew neck swim tee. ($39.) Adorable.
I’ll need to wear it during peak sun hours, because I can only tolerate minimal usage of this very expensive sunscreen, and it needs to look cute with my suit.
I also need a cover up. I like this one from J. Crew, but since it’s basically just a tshirt, I’d love to find something similar for less than $65.
What kind of swimsuit do you wear? Tell us about it and share your swimsuit shopping tips in comments. And if you have opinions about which suit and rash guard I should get, I’m listening!