I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I love doing this survey every year! For 2018 we had a record number of responses (just shy of 7000!) and I am grateful for every one of them.
I love this survey because it’s fun. It’s great to hear from you, and as a personality geek, survey-making and taking is oddly enjoyable. I love this survey because it satisfies my (and your) curiosity. Do I need to know whether you knew that 50 Shades of Grey started as Twilight fan fiction? Of course not. (But 34% of you knew.) And this survey is immensely helpful to me as a I plan for the blog, podcast, and book club. Your questions inspire new posts and your feedback helps set new directions as we continue to build our bookish community.
And your compliments? They warm my heart and let me know that we’re doing something right.
Now … on to the results.
You read a lot of books.
47% of people who responded have read over 50 books, and just over 1,000 readers have read more than 100.
These stats are just for fun, because around here we believe that reading is NOT a competitive sport. Please note that if you read 1-6 books each year, you are in very good company, and we salute you.
Nearly 20% of you just started reading the blog this year.
This was a curiosity question, and one of the results I found most surprising (probably because I feel like I’ve known so many of your names from the comments section for ages!). New readers: Welcome! I’m glad you’re here.
And to the 400+ readers who have been here for many years, thanks for sticking with me through the rough early photography.
Less than a quarter of you enjoy Facebook.
Although most of you still use it. Many readers told us in comments that they have never had a Facebook account.
This was a curiosity question: I don’t love (or even use) Facebook for personal reasons, but thought I was in the vast minority. I was wrong.
The life-saving power of books and coffee.
Once again, books and coffee (and to a lesser extent, tea) are saving your life right now. And since we always have the survey during the summer, air conditioning grabs a considerable number of votes. Some other less common but critical life savers: grocery pick-up services, Zoloft, naps, Trello, pets, school starting, and The Great British Baking Show.
“Tell me anything” is the best.
Every year, this is my favorite section. Not only do some of your questions and suggestions become blog ideas, but also, you’re funny. And sweet. (Make sure you read to the end.)
- My TBR pile is taking over my guest room. Not kidding, it’s about 15 boxes. Good thing my husband isn’t all that observant.
- August is the sweaty armpit of the summer. I’m dying for fall. DYING.
- Honestly, my dream dinner party of living people includes Anne Bogel, Jamie Golden, Ree Drummond (the Pioneer Woman), and Jennifer Garner. Hopefully that’s not weird, because it’s true. 🙂 (Count me in. Can I sit next to Jennifer Garner?)
- If you didn’t read an Elin Hilderbrand on your beach vacation, did you even go to the beach?
- From a bookseller: A customer came in with a list of books she was looking for. By the third title, I asked, “Do you listen to What Should I Read Next?”
- Internet dating is REALLY hard.
- If cauliflower can be turned into pizza we can all do hard things.
- Anne is the reason I own a half dozen pairs of Tieks.
- I worked at B&N for 8 years and read Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone as an ARC. I told the morning meeting that this was going to be huge!
- Today I was late to work because my dog, Waffles, was asleep on my cell phone and I couldn’t find it anywhere.
- TWO readers told me they were newly-pregnant and nobody knew yet except their husbands, and asked for prayers and well wishes. Readers, would you send yours?
Readers, that’s it for our 2018 survey! Thanks again for reading, and for helping me make this a happier corner of the internet. xoxo -Anne