I love year end reflections and recaps, and today I’m sharing one particular to blogging: the 10 most popular posts of the year, determined by pure numbers. These are the 13 posts that garnered the most pageviews during the calendar year beginning January 1, in order, most to least.
The internet is a funny place. It’s always interesting to see what ends up on this list, because “popular” doesn’t mean “best.” These aren’t necessarily my favorite posts, or yours. Some of these posts did well because you loved and shared them; some are here because Facebook kept popping them in people’s feeds, or it somehow ranks high in Google search, or—in the case of #1—Reddit got ahold of it.
I’m always surprised to see what makes the list, and what doesn’t, and hope you enjoy perusing these top 13. Sometimes the results make me shake my head, but I’m sharing them anyway. Without further adieu … the most popular posts of 2018, in order:
1. Unputdownable: 17 books I read in 24 hours or less (because they were just that good). 17 titles featuring great characters, strong narrative drive, and a premise that sucks you right in.
2. 9 books you should have read in high school that are totally worth reading now. If you tend to get a little panicky when you consider all the books you feel like you should have read by now, take heart: you’ll get more out of reading these novels now than you ever would have gotten out of them in high school.
3. How to listen to Audible audiobooks for free, without a membership. How to stream top-rated audiobooks for free—including best sellers, family favorites, celebrity-narrated classics, and more. Google loves this one.
4. The ten-item wardrobe. Some people think this topic is superficial, but we all have to get dressed. If you put some thought and organization into this daily task, you can completely change your life. This one is popular on Pinterest.
5. 50 contemporary books every woman’s gotta read. Here’s the funny thing about these books we consider “must” reads: every reader has a different list—so I turned to you for help putting this list together.
6. 13 things I’ve learned in 30 months of Stitch Fix (aka my best Stitch Fix tips). Seven and a half years and 40-something fixes later, these are my best tips for getting the most out of Stitch Fix.
7. 100 stocking stuffers that will actually be appreciated, don’t feel like a waste of money, and won’t be broken/destroyed/forgotten by New Years. These favorite (and a few unconventional) stocking stuffers won’t make you feel like you’re throwing your money away. Some are inexpensive, some are a little more spendy, but all will actually be used.
9. 9 bestsellers actually worth the hype. Just because a book is a bestseller, that doesn’t mean it’s any good. These 9 titles justify the buzz.
10. I took my 8-year-old to the tattoo parlor and here’s how it went. For all you parents who think you may have an ear piercing in your future, I hope this is helpful as you decide what to do, and where to go. This one is popular on Google.
11. 40 favorite audiobooks for kids. My own family’s favorites, the ones we’re looking forward to listening to in the car and during quiet time, and a healthy number of reader selections.
12. 6 books I had to be talked into reading (and I’m so very glad I did). Here are six examples of wonderful books I nearly didn’t read because I avoided them for stupid, shallow reasons.
13. 25 must-read classics for women. I hope you enjoy getting to see the variety of books many different women consider to be must-reads.
Next week I’ll share my favorite posts here. I already know the lists won’t overlap by much. Stay tuned!