What are you up to this weekend? I’m finishing a good book, visiting friends, and enjoying another day at the beach! I hope your weekend is full of the energy or relaxation you need—maybe a little of both?—and that this collection of interesting reads and favorite things helps ease you into that weekend frame of mind.
My Reading Adventures is here—and today is the last day for bonuses!
Thank you for celebrating the release of my new kids’ journal My Reading Adventures with me! Today is the last day to claim the preorder bonuses so make sure you fill out the form and claim your stickers.
My favorite finds from around the web:
- Hulu Gives Series Order To ‘The Other Black Girl’ From Onyx Collective. Exciting development!
- Travel ‘Works to Shake Things Up,’ Says the Novelist Emily Henry. Great interview. (Gift link.)
- My family adores this sunscreen face stick.
- The First Slice Of Pie Will Never Fall Apart Again Thanks To This Trick. Have you tried this?
- I had a blast talking to Craig and Andrew from Overdue on their podcast. Listen to our discussion of Our Man in Havana by Graham Greene. (In case you missed it, Craig and Andrew were on What Should I Read Next Ep 338: This episode is Overdue. It’s a good one!)
- My beloved cinnamon almond butter has been out of stock and I was absurdly happy to stumble upon some in a Florida grocery store!
- 10 Most Magical Book Towns Around the World. Future vacation ideas.
- This Friend Group Started Their Own Wine Brand. What a cool story!
- Who gets to be the face of the WNBA? Jonquel Jones is ready for her close-up. I love a good sports profile. “Jones has the game; she has the personality. She even has a compelling origin story. Yet few people outside of the WNBA faithful even know who Jonquel Jones is.”
- Now this is a tshirt dress you could live in all summer. (And the women of my family are trying.)
- Very Online. “I don’t think people are really meant to engage with the whole world. It is exhausting.”
The Modern Mrs Darcy Time Machine:
- 12 books to read for Women in Translation Month. August is Women in Translation Month! Reading translated books is a great way to experience the vast and varied types of storytelling from around the world.
- More favorite things to buy at Trader Joe’s. The possibilities at Trader Joe’s are endless!
- August 11: Kickstart Your Reading Life with Mystery: Crowd-Pleasing Picks from Popular Genres: Mystery. This is a Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club event.
- August 18: Austen in August Tea Party: It’s Austen in August! We’re reading Sense & Sensibility and having tea with cooking expert and self-professed Anglophile, Caitlyn from Geraldine + Virginia. We’ll learn Regency-era history and modern tea etiquette to enhance our Austen reading experience. This is a Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club event.
- August 25: Live discussion with Peng Shepherd: Time for our Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club discussion of The Cartographers with author Peng Shepherd!
- August 27: Sense & Sensibility Watch Party: Stream, buy, borrow, or rent the film, then join us as we all press play on the 1995 version of the film Sense & Sensibility, all together at the same time. We’ll use the Zoom chat feature to share our thoughts as we watch! This is a Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club event.
You can find more upcoming events here.
Have a great weekend!