Readers, you’re not dreaming: it’s not the weekend quite yet! Since we’ll host Quick Lit on Friday, July 15, I thought you might prefer to have this collection of interesting reads and favorite things at the ready on Thursday. I hope you enjoy this week’s round up.
This week is unusual in more ways than one: yesterday was my birthday! I’m writing up a not-exactly birthday reflection for a weekend newsletter so keep an eye out for that (and subscribe here if you’re not on the list).
My favorite finds from around the web:
- NASA unveils first images from James Webb Space Telescope. Are you as in awe of these images as I am? (Gift link.)
- Some Surprising Good News: Bookstores Are Booming and Becoming More Diverse. Here for this. (Gift link.)
- This is an amazing deal from FirstLeaf Wine Club! Get 6 bottles of wine + free shipping for just $24.95 with code SUMMER2022. Between this deal and a case of Spindrift I’ll be ready for book club or any other summer gathering.
- Netflix’s Persuasion Isn’t Just Bad Austen. It’s One of the Worst Movies in Years. Ouch! I haven’t seen it yet; have you?
- Fantasy Failed to See Me, So I Wrote Myself In. Nice reflection from V.E. Schwab. “There’s a reason so many people who don’t see themselves in the hero find themselves in the villain. Villains move perpendicular instead of parallel. Their presence disrupts the story. They are unabashedly, unashamedly themselves.”
- Kwame Alexander To Host New Reality Show. This sounds interesting!
- Will made this family favorite ice cream recipe last night for my birthday. Yum! (Don’t miss my What Should I Read Next reel featuring Will making ice cream!)
- Where the Crawdads Sing Author Wanted for Questioning in Murder. In case you missed the original coverage.
- The Case for the Supermarket Supershopper. “Grocery shopping is an intimately personal act—deciding what to put in your body and what to feed the people you love—performed in public.”
- ‘Proud to represent Kentucky.’ Lexington writer Ada Limón is new U.S. poet laureate. Happy to see this!
- While we’re on the topic: this is my holy grail sunscreen for daily use on my sensitive skin.
- 7 Nonfiction Audiobooks for Disability Pride Month. I just finished Easy Beauty; you’ll see it in tomorrow’s Quick Lit post!
- The Road to Turning 500 Acres Into a Black City. It’ll be interesting to see how this comes together.
- The Norwegian library with unreadable books. What an unusual, thought-provoking project!
On the podcast:
This week’s episode has been a long time in the making! I hope you agree it was worth the wait. Listen wherever you get your podcasts, or right here with the player below.
Don’t miss these posts:
- Not every adventure has to be grand. We’re bringing back the Summer of Saying Yes!
- 20 terrific tomes to add to your TBR (or teetering to-read tower). Summer is a great time to sink into an enormous book.
- July 22-24: Readers’ Weekend: Save the date for our Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club Readers’ Weekend!
- July 26: Live discussion with Bonnie Garmus: Time for our Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club discussion of Lessons in Chemistry with author Bonnie Garmus!
- August 2: Book signing at Sundog Books in Seaside, Florida: I’ll be there at 12:00pm central time with my new kids’ journal My Reading Adventures.
You can find more upcoming events here.
Have a great weekend!