What’s on your horizon this weekend? I feel like we’re getting started early here because it’s our first snow day. Everything is cancelled, and I imagine hot chocolate and daytime movies and puzzling will be happening soon.
I hope you have a lovely weekend, wherever you are.
My favorite finds from around the web:
- My book Don’t Overthink It is on sale across all ebook platforms for $.99, and for $.79 on Kindle. Get it while it’s hot!
- Inside a hollow library book, a secret library. What a treasure!
- ‘I Always Think of Poetry as Home for Me’. Clint Smith interviewed Amanda Gorman and their conversation is everything I hoped it would be.
- Top 25 News Photos of 2021. I can’t believe this all happened in one year. (Some of these images may be difficult to look at—be gentle with yourselves.)
- My skin loves this dry body oil for winter. (The whole product line is fantastic.)
- The Promises Martha Stewart Made—and Why We Wanted to Believe Them. Nobody wrote like Joan Didion. Such a loss.
- Love In The Shape Of Cut Fruit. “Cut fruit is a gift. Life is filled with bitter and hard things. When you extract pits, piths, and peels, fruit becomes an accessible and reliable source of pure sweetness, only softness.”
- Get 3 audiobooks with a 30-day free trial from Audiobooks.com.
- Rick Steves on the Return of Travel and Why It Matters. “I got used to the security after 9/11, and I’m getting used to Covid standards now. But I do think that, come next year, we’ll be back to traveling again — and I hope that we’ll all be better for it.”
- This cheerful puzzle was fun for the whole family (and WAY EASIER than the last few we’ve done!).
- Jami Attenberg: ‘Rejection gave me a fresh start, a new year’. “I treasure my friendships and the endless pile of notebooks I keep filling, marvelling occasionally at how there are always, somehow, more words in the world. There is always a fresh start when I open a new notebook. It is always 1 January when I turn to the first page.”
Don’t miss these posts:
- 17 fiction books that feature fresh starts and new beginnings. Anyone else love a nice fresh start story?
- 16 jigsaw puzzles to brighten up your winter days. We are very pro-puzzles around here.
- 15 inspiring and practical books to help you achieve your New Year’s resolutions. If you want to actually keep your New Year’s resolutions, these 15 books will help you follow through.
- January 7: A Conversation on Rereading: A mini-class on the benefits of rereading, as the Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club revisits six best-loved titles from the Book Club vault in January.
- January 13: Best Books of the Year 2021: Modern Mrs Darcy team members share what they’ve read and loved this year. We’re a team of diverse readers, so we’re sure to share one (or three) of our favorite books, and hope you find some you might love. (This is a Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club event.)
- January 27: Choose Your Own Bookish Adventure: We’re mixing things up this month in the Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club! Join us to discuss your choice of the following books from Book Club history: Before We Visit the Goddess (2016), Beartown (2017), This Must Be the Place (2018), The Gown (2019), The Poet X (2020), and Kitchens of the Great Midwest (2021).
- February 24: Live chat with author Liz Moore: Time for our Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club discussion of The Unseen World with author Liz Moore!
You can find more upcoming events here.
Have a great weekend!