I hope you have a lovely weekend ahead of you. Around here we’re celebrating a birthday and finishing that holiday decorating we just barely got started last weekend.
Exciting news: we launched annual Patreon memberships! Our patrons get bonus episodes, exclusive Ask Anne Anything quarterly livestreams, peeks behind the scenes, and commentary about the show. We also invite our members to influence future episodes with their suggestions and poll and survey responses. An annual membership will save you 16% (that’s two months free) compared to a monthly subscription.
This makes it possible to gift a membership, although Patreon doesn’t have a direct way to do it. The workaround is to enter your giftee’s email address but your own credit card info and then you’ll need to disable auto-renewal. You may want to give your giftee a heads up because they’ll get the signup email right away. We’re so happy to be able to make this option available!
My favorite finds from around the web:
- How Memphis Created the Nation’s Most Innovative Public Library. It sounds amazing.
- We always joke about buying these Pemberley sweatshirts for our whole team. (But maybe we should stop joking and actually do it?)
- How a Missing Sock Changed My Life. “Nearly five years ago, I found a stray sock in my building’s lobby with a note affixed to it that read: ‘This guy got separated from his family and I found him wandering scared and lost in my own laundry.’” (This is a gift link.)
- I Moved to a Remote Cabin to Write, and I Hate It. “Plenty of people have believed that nature would save them; fewer have the guts to admit when it doesn’t. And now you’re stuck with the same problems you had before but you don’t even have a toilet.”
- This Cookie Is Timeless, Any Way You Spice It. We make molasses cookies with jelly centers every winter.
- How to Make Small Talk in the 19th Century. People have always had opinions about small talk and always will.
- Mary Shelley’s Former London Apartment For Sale. And it’s beautiful.
- The 2021 holiday movie guide: 100+ new films to get you in the spirit. How many will you be watching?
- Related: Before Bingeing on Hallmark Holiday Movies, Please Agree to These Terms. You can count on McSweeney’s for a hilarious take.
- How adorable is this Magnolia bookshop storefront jigsaw puzzle? (Puzzlers: we have TONS of recommendations for you.)
- Redemption For Doctor Watson. “It must not be forgotten that Watson is the writer of the Holmes stories, and, as such, is their architect. He’s responsible for representing their relationship, and even Holmes’s entire persona. Watson might, actually, be the greater mastermind between the two of them.”
Don’t miss these posts:
- A beginner’s guide to happy, healthy houseplants. Some of the things I learned on my way to becoming a Plant Lady.
- Addictive spiced nuts. We devour this stuff.
- December 16: Live chat with author Ingrid Fetell Lee: Time for our Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club discussion of Joyful: The Surprising Power of Ordinary Things to Create Extraordinary Happiness with author Ingrid Fetell Lee! (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
You can find more upcoming events here.
Have a great weekend!