Happy Friday, friends. I hope you have something to look forward to this weekend, and that this collection of interesting reads and enticing finds helps ease you into that weekend frame of mind.
My favorite finds from around the web:
- Why We Need ‘Goosebumps’ More Than Ever. “Reading them is like watching a magician saw his assistant in half, secure in the knowledge that Stine, the magician, is to be trusted. No matter how bad things might seem in the middle of the act, you feel certain that all will be neatly resolved by its end.”
- Tom Hanks hails Edinburgh bookshop owner as his ‘hero’. I stopped by Typewronger Books when I was in Edinburgh a couple of years ago and it became a new favorite.
- Best Books 2021: Publishers Weekly. See any favorites?
- Tea of the week: Tazo’s glazed lemon loaf is a hit with all ages at my house.
- Jocelyn Nicole Johnson: ‘My book is me nudging forward from very real fears’. Great interview with the author of Fall Book Preview pick My Monticello.
- Ghostwriting. “When you’ve been taught that you are an accessory to greatness, how do you believe that you can be great yourself?”
- There’s not a happier sweatshirt than this in all the land.
- The Secret to a Fight-Free Relationship. Misleading headline but fascinating article about how to constructively manage conflict.
- How Onscreen Fashion Is Rewriting History For Women. Interesting look at the way fashion impacts perception with costume designer’s choices for recent and upcoming film and TV projects.
- The radical power of the book index. For the book nerds.
- How Long Can We Play? “Deciding to push on can be easy. The difficult part is deciding how much you’re willing to sacrifice to do so.”
- British Baking for the 21st Century. I can’t ever pass up an interview with Nadiya Hussain.
Don’t miss these posts:
- 7 spooky (not scary) short story collections. These short story collections will get you in the mood for Halloween without keeping you awake all night!
- A bounty of beautiful bookmarks: 20 charming place-holders and page-markers for bookworms to gift and enjoy. Bookmarks make a great gift for yourself or someone on your gift list!
- 15 quintessentially British audiobooks for chilly weather listening. Don’t be surprised if you find yourself taking the dog on a longer walk just so you can keep listening.
- November 4: How to Write a Book Review: Why is it so hard to talk about books we love (or don’t)? This session is packed with practical tips and an easy formula for creating book reviews, whether you want to sum up your reading experience for your bestie, record your thoughts in your private book journal, or share publicly on Instagram, Goodreads, or other public review sites. (This is a Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club event. Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
- November 30: Live chat with author Amy Jo Burns: Time for our Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club discussion of Shiner with author Amy Jo Burns! (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
- December 16: Live chat with author Ingrid Fetell Lee: Time for our Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club discussion of Joyful: The Surprising Power of Ordinary Things to Create Extraordinary Happiness with author Ingrid Fetell Lee! (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
You can find more upcoming events here.
Have a great weekend!