WHAT A WEEK. Our Summer Reading Guide Unboxing live events were so fun yesterday! If you’re sad to have missed out on the best bookish event of the year and our exclusive expanded guide, join the MMD Book Club or Patreon at any time and gain access to all past events and perks.
The basic edition of the 2021 Summer Reading Guide comes out on Monday! Subscribers, check your email at 9:00 am Eastern for our 10th annual guide.
This week has been a whirlwind of Summer Reading Everything, but this weekend I’m watching TWO kids graduate, catching up on appointments, and possibly going to a restaurant for the first time since March 2020. I hope you have something fun to look forward to this weekend.
My favorite finds from around the web:
- Pizza Hut’s BOOK IT! Summer Reading Camp Is Back and We Have So Much Nostalgia. I really hope they make more of those t-shirts!
- We were American Girls: What Addy taught me about Black hair, freedom and myself. Stunning essay from one of my favorite local-to-me journalists.
- In Conversation: Alison Bechdel. Fascinating interview with the graphic memoirist.
- I’m getting ready for swimsuit season love the classic vibes of this one-piece that just arrived, as well as this bestselling one-shoulder style. (I was grateful to discover both styles are available in long torso.)
- The Secret Life of Deesha Philyaw. I’ve been wondering how this book happened to be published by WVU Press and really appreciated the other facets this article explored. Such a great piece.
- A Once-in-a-Lifetime Chance to Start Over. Interesting to consider.
- The Great Camp Cooking Boom. This makes so much sense. My family went camping more ourselves last year!
- How Dawnie Walton’s Musical Faves Inspired Her to Write Her Debut Novel. Loved learning more about how her novel The Final Revival of Opal & Nev came to be.
- Want to try Jane Austen’s favourite cheese toastie? Now you can. Old recipes have such unexpected components.
- 5 Great Podcasts For Book Lovers. What Should I Read Next is in great company here!
Don’t miss these posts:
- 10 romance novels that are perfect for summer reading. This list was a Modern Mrs Darcy first!
- The ten item wardrobe. This concept doesn’t overwhelm me like the mix-and-match possibilities of the capsule wardrobes do.
- 9 books you should have read in high school that are totally worth reading now. For anyone who’s been wanting to catch up on classics.
- May 24: 2021 MMD Summer Reading Guide: We’re emailing the 10th annual Summer Reading Guide to all newsletter subscribers at 9:00 am Eastern time! Make sure you’re signed up.
- May 24, 7 pm ET: In conversation with author Brooke Lauren Davis: Join me for an event—in person or online—at Carmichael’s Bookstore where I’ll interview author Brooke Lauren Davis about the release of her new book The Hollow Inside. More details here.
- May 25, 7 pm ET: Live chat with author Stacey Lee: Time for our MMD Book Club discussion of The Downstairs Girl with author Stacey Lee! (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
- June 22, 1 pm ET: Live chat with author Emily Henry: Time for our MMD Book Club discussion of People We Meet On Vacation with author Emily Henry! (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.) We’re also planning a When Harry Met Sally watch party for June, of course.
You can find more upcoming events here.
Have a great weekend!