This weekend I’m packing up my sweaters and reading piles of good books. (As the Summer Reading Guide deadline approaches, I furiously read soon-to-be-new releases hunting for last-minute gems!) I hope you have something to look forward to this weekend.
My favorite finds from around the web:
- Amanda Gorman ‘humbled and honored’ to debut at No. 1 on USA TODAY’s bestseller list, a poetry first. Amazing!
- I Called Off My Wedding. The Internet Will Never Forget. Insightful piece on a problem we all need to grapple with.
- I’m currently spraying down sweaters with this favorite product to put them into storage for the season.
- How Do You Write an Anthony Bourdain Book Without Anthony Bourdain? Great yet sad behind-the-scenes look into a book I really enjoyed.
- Doesn’t this beautiful dress just scream “spring?”
- How Science Journalist Ed Yong Helps Readers Make Sense of the World. I have so appreciated Yong’s reporting on COVID-19 for The Atlantic this past year.
- After we had Unorthodox producer Sara Aeder on WSIRN episode 276, I was delighted to appear on Unorthodox myself!
- 42 LGBTQ Books That Will Change the Literary Landscape This Spring. Happy that I’ve already read three of these!
- I gave my daughters the Allure Beauty Box as a gift but keep borrowing the products myself. High-quality skincare at a great value; right now get two full-size products when you sign up instead of the usual one.
- Does Birth Order Really Determine Personality? Here’s What the Research Says. “Of course, all the circumstances in which a child comes into the world—whether they’re born male or female, in war or peace, into relative poverty or exorbitant wealth—end up making a person who they are. But the birth-order effect seems to particularly enthuse and preoccupy us.” (You do know I wrote a book on personality, right?)
- 7 Bookstagrammers On How to Create a Cozy Reading Nook. Some book nook inspiration.
Don’t miss these posts:
- Expand your literary horizons with these 20 books in translation. Why read books in translation? My friend put it well when she quipped, “I’m stuck in my head, I read to escape my own head, and my head happens to be an American head.”
- 10 work from home tips to help you stay present and productive. Over the years, I’ve developed steady routines and habits to become good at working from home. I hope my tips will help you find some peace, productivity, and calm in your own work life.
- April 20, 1 pm ET: Bird By Bird flight discussion: Time for our Book Club discussion of flight pick Bird By Bird by Anne Lamott! This is an MMD Book Club event. (Discussions are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
- April 28, 7 pm ET: Live chat with author Lily King: Time for our Book Club discussion of Writers & Lovers with author Lily King! This is an MMD Book Club event. (Events are available as replays for members who cannot attend live.)
You can find more upcoming events here.
Have a great weekend!