We made it to another Friday, and woke up to honest-to-goodness snow for the first time this season! The trees are blanketed but the roads are clear—my favorite combination.
This weekend we’re also baking fancy bread and celebrating a family birthday. The news out of D.C. is heartbreaking and we’re coping as best we can here at home. I hope your weekend is just what you need it to be, and as usual, we’re getting things started with an assortment of interesting reads and fun things.
My favorite finds from around the web:
- Get Ready For the 42 Most Anticipated Books of 2021. How many of these are on your TBR?
- Friends & Fiction Episode 41 with Anne Bogel. This was such a fun event!
- An Ode to Frozen Vegetables. Not what I would expect Jenny Rosenstrach to write about!
- Why We Need More Diversity in South Asian Representation. “This monopolization effectively erases the other South Asian countries, including narratives that are very unique, yet often intertwined because of our histories of colonization, border disputes, and shared culture.”
- These are the comfy sweaters I’m wearing on repeat this week.
- These Precious Days. Ann Patchett writes about Tom Hanks, his assistant, and the many ways stories can begin and end. And also doing mushrooms, which I DID NOT expect.
- How Author Jacqueline Woodson Gets It Done. I love these profiles.
- The next 10 books you should consider on decision-making. Great to see Don’t Overthink It included here!
- Speaking of Don’t Overthink It: it’s on sale across all ebook platforms for just $1.99 (or less, some places) right now. Click here to buy wherever ebooks are sold, or buy it on Amazon here for $1.59. (You can even give the ebook to a friend.)
- 10 Cozy Sweaters to Get You Through the Rest of Winter. Some cute options here.
- ‘He Made Me Realize It Was Possible:’ Remembering Eric Jerome Dickey. Moving reflections from Black authors.
- Where Fantasy Meets Reality: The Magic of Libraries. Lots of great book recommendations.
- Dealing With Jaw, Neck, or Face Tension Lately? Here Are 5 Ways to Get Relief (Without Turning to Advil). Helpful tips.
Event with Jane Harper:
Very exciting news! Jane Harper joined us in the Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club to talk about The Dry back in 2017. MacMillan is doing a virtual book club for The Dry on January 13 and they’ve asked me to lead the discussion with Jane. Join us for conversation and Q&A live online. Tickets are free with proof of purchase of The Dry or her latest The Survivors. Register here.
Don’t miss these posts:
- 7 simple ways to read more this year. If you’ve been wanting to squeeze more reading time into your days, these strategies should help.
- 16 jigsaw puzzles to brighten up your winter days. We are very pro-puzzles around here.
Have a great weekend!