What are you up to this weekend? Around here we’re celebrating a birthday and starting a new puzzle. Plus I hope to finish both the holiday shopping and seasonal decorating—two projects that feel like they’ve dragged on for a long time this year! I hope your weekend is just what you need it to be.
My favorite finds from around the web:
- Family Values: An Ode to Aunties and Their Inimitable Sense of Style. “If what a woman wears influences how she feels, the aunties I know aspire to be deliriously joyful.”
- 10 Small Independent Bookstores In The Midwest To Support Right Now. So many great bookstores out there!
- This Is the Year To Finally Accept While You Were Sleeping As the Perfect Christmas Movie. “At the very least we ourselves can hope that this time next year we not only will be back to hugging as much as ever, but also leaning. Which everyone knows requires just as much close proximity, but is *completely* different than hugging.”
- The Tennessee Solution to Disappearing Book Reviews. “We knew there was an audience for this, and we serve readers, not a bottom line.”
- 5 Quick Dinners That Start with 2 Pounds of Chicken Breasts. These recipes sound great!
- About That Wave of Anti-Racist Bestsellers Over the Summer… There are so many takeaways here. Also: please be kind to booksellers and pick up the books you order in a timely manner.
- How adorable are these tiny bookish chocolates?
- 13 Podcasts About Books That Every Bookworm Needs to Get Into. Very cool to see What Should I Read Next? included here, alongside so many other great podcasts!
- My friend has convinced everyone in her life to buy this kneading neck and back massager … and I’m happy to be one of them.
- The power of Mr. Darcy’s hand flex in ‘Pride and Prejudice,’ revisited 15 years later. If you know, you know. (Although I still prefer this adaptation.)
- We are loving these unusually scented candles—burning them before dawn is brightening our kitchen mornings.
- I’m looking forward to this upcoming event with Valerie Koehler of Blue Willow Bookstore! We’ll be talking about book clubs, holiday gift ideas, and my book Don’t Overthink It.
- I had a lovely conversation with TrooMe about overthinking, coping with COVID, and accepting the inevitable. She asks such good questions!
Winter Book Preview is coming!
Our Winter Book Preview is right around the corner on December 8! I’ll be sharing 42 titles I’ve read and loved, that I can’t wait to read, and that the industry is buzzing about this year. There are SO MANY good books this season it was tough to narrow it down, but I did it—and I can’t wait to talk about these books live and put our digital magazine in readers’ hands!
This is a special event for Book Club and Patreon members. You won’t find the list anywhere else. It’s our way of saying thanks for supporting the work we do here. Join either community and you’ll be all set for the Winter Book Preview, plus gain instant access to our past digital magazines and everything else in those archives. (That’s a lot of good stuff!)
There are two ways to participate and get the digital magazine:
• Click here for the lowdown on Book Club, where we’re learning to read better, together.
• If you’d like the Winter Book Preview but don’t want to participate in a Book Club right now, our What Should I Read Next Patreon community is right for you. Click here to get started.
Don’t miss these posts:
- Addictive spiced nuts. We devour this stuff. It makes a great gift too!
- A book lover’s guide to literary Edinburgh. This brings back such good memories. I can’t wait to go back someday.
Have a great weekend!