I hope you have a wonderful weekend ahead. I’m excited because today we begin our Stay at Home Book Club Retreat with MMD Book Club members. We’re spending the better part of the weekend talking books and I can’t wait.
About that photo: don’t you think daisies are the happiest flower? We named our pup with that in mind. And earlier this month I planted some in my own backyard—I can’t wait for them to bloom!
My favorite finds from around the web:
- 25 Best Middle-Grade Books About Summer Camp. What a great book list! There are a handful on here we love (Williams-Garcia, Messner, Dairman) and a bunch more new discoveries.
- Readers tell me my book Don’t Overthink It is nearly out of stock on Amazon so get it while you can. Or better yet: order a signed copy from my local indie Carmichael’s Bookstore or get your copy from the now-open Strand Bookstore in NYC (their red “signed copy” stickers on the pink cover are so pretty!).
- ‘The Great British Bake Off’ Is Cooking Again After A Covid Delay & Will Premiere Later This Year. This is the news I needed this week.
- In Publishing, ‘Everything Is Up for Change.’ “Ten years from now, I don’t think anything will look the same.”
- Congrats to Laura Vanderkam on her her timely new book release! If you’re curious about my own work-from-home habits, Laura interviewed me for The New Corner Office and you’ll see me discuss meetings, my “ferris wheel” of priorities, and more about managing my team remotely.
- The First Black-Owned Bookstore and the Fight for Freedom. “Although there was a joiner’s fee, Ruggles’s reading room was free to city visitors, a nod that it was safe for those escaping slavery.”
- The Class of RBG. In case you’ve ever wondered what became of the nine other women in Justice Ginsburg’s Harvard Law class of ’59.
- Q&A: TJ Klune, Author of ‘The House in the Cerulean Sea.’ This is such a great interview! The House in the Cerulean Sea is a 2020 Summer Reading Guide pick and one so many readers have been delighted to discover.
- The best workout for you to try, based on your Myers-Briggs type. How accurate is this for you?
- Netflix Wins Julia Roberts-Denzel Washington-Sam Esmail Package ‘Leave The World Behind’ Based On Rumaan Alam’s Upcoming Novel. I’ve read this book already and WHOA it is WILD. Curious to see how this adaptation progresses.
Don’t miss these posts:
- 20 terrific tomes to add to your TBR (or teetering to-read tower.) Summer is a great time to read big books!
- The things that seem to work for everyone else. This is a good reminder.
- From the trenches of parenting a highly sensitive child. “I first learned about “highly sensitive people” when I read Susan Cain’s book Quiet several years ago and immediately resonated with the description. It took me all of five minutes to realize that at least two of my four children are also highly sensitive. This realization was a game changer.”
Have a great weekend!