Happy Friday, and happy should-have-been Oaks Day! Tomorrow is the first Saturday in May, which means today is a special day here in Louisville: Oaks Day, the day before the Derby. The big race may have been postponed till September, but around here we’re still baking (not) Derby pie and mixing up juleps to celebrate.
I hope you have a great weekend ahead of you. Enjoy these fun things and interesting reads to get you started.
My favorite finds from around the web:
- The 22 Best Books to Read This Summer. I’m a sucker for a “best books of ANYTHING AT ALL” list, which is no surprise. But I gotta tell you: the overlap between this list and the 2020 MMD Summer Reading Guide is *two* titles.
- Just in time for our Summer Reading Guide Unboxing on May 12: you’re looking for gift ideas for teachers or Mother’s Day, don’t forget to give (or request) a Modern Mrs Darcy Book Club membership!
- This COVID-19 version of Do Re Mi had my whole family cracking up.
- Four people in my family have been awkwardly sharing one Kindle during quarantine. This is the last sci-fi series my 10-year-old blazed through on ebook. Now he’s off to a great start with this print series.
- How I stock the Smitten Kitchen. I love seeing what people’s staples are.
- They got married in the middle of the friendliest street in town — and the neighbors all came to help. Such a lovely story.
- Right now you can snag this Well Fed 28 day paleo meal plan from my friend Mel for free. I adore her recipes and her cookbooks, especially Well Fed 2, and recommend grabbing this while you can!
- Coronavirus has many beaches closed, but beach reads are still coming this summer. And I’m so glad they are.
Don’t miss these posts:
- 9 books you should have read in high school that are totally worth reading now. For anyone who’s been wanting to catch up on classics.
- Straight to you from Derby City: the classic mint julep, and a mint fizz mocktail. The Derby has been postponed until September but we can still enjoy its traditional drinks now.
- A trick for when you’re stuck in a reading rut. Such a simple tip for anyone who’s struggling to read right now.
- The 2020 Summer Reading Guide comes out in two weeks! Here’s a look back at the 2015 Minimalist Summer Reading Guide.
Have a great weekend!