Hello and happy weekend! I was expecting to be on a plane to Georgia right now to continue the Don’t Overthink It book tour, but COVID-19 has wreaked havoc with all our plans. This weekend we’re practicing social distancing: I hope that means catching up on homework, books, and movies, and finally finishing a gorgeous Liberty puzzle we’ve had going for a few weeks.
Happy weekend, readers!
My favorite finds from around the web:
- Exclusive: George Clooney Set to Direct ‘The Boys in the Boat’. Very interesting development! It’s such a great book.
- Don’t Overthink It is a bestseller! I’m thrilled, but also: book sales this month (including the ones reflected on this list) are and are expected to continue be very, very low because of the current public health crisis. If you’re inclined to buy a book from an indie right now—whether that’s my book or anyone else’s—your purchase would mean a lot.
- Cancel Everything. “Social distancing is the only way to stop the coronavirus. We must start immediately.”
- The Coronavirus Outbreak. The New York Times has made this coverage available to all (instead of paywall-protected) right now. (I’m a happy paying subscriber, but am so glad everyone has access for the time being.)
- Why owning fewer clothes makes you a better dresser. As someone with an accidental capsule wardrobe, I’m on board with this trend.
- Why Are Hardcover Books Published Before Paperbacks? The more you know.
- Sorta Awesome Episode 235: Overcoming Analysis Paralysis. Such a treat to return to Sorta Awesome!
- This Is the Dumbest Foodie Battle of Our Time. (I am strongly pro-story.)
- Typology Podcast: How an Enneagram 9 Gets Decisive. It was a pleasure to be back with Ian Morgan Cron for his fabulous show.
We’ve been cooking up this idea for a week and just announced it on Instagram last night.
Read the post and comments for more info, but here’s the nutshell version: We’re inviting authors whose in-person book events have been disrupted by covid-19 to join us online for a virtual, stay at home book tour. We’ll keep the format of a bookstore author talk, but we’ll do it online. We’ll do multiple events over multiple days. We won’t do signings or selfies, but we hope to bring the DELIGHT of a good book tour event straight to you, wherever you are.
In these wild times, I’m delighted to offer up this option. Details coming to the blog real soon. (If you’re not on our email list, may I suggest you sign up for blog updates right now?)
Don’t miss these posts:
- Book Club 101. Everything you need to know about starting a book club.
- My to-do list and my wish list. This is a helpful way to reframe things.
Have a great weekend, friends! Stay safe and wash your hands.
xoxo – Anne