Happy Friday! What are you up to this weekend? Around here we’re enjoying a few wondrous days below 90 degrees before the temperature bumps back up next week. We’re cooking out with friends, celebrating birthdays, and supervising kids’ sports practices. (These have been excellent for my audiobook listening but terrible for the reading I have to do with my eyes!)
My favorite finds from around the web:
- Tom Hanks is absolutely perfect as Mister Rogers in new movie trailer. Hang on for the train scene, for real.
- Summer Fruit Crostata recipe from The Barefoot Contessa. We used our Peach Truck peaches to make this beauty and it was a hit.
- 11 Books to Read if You’re an Adult Who Loves Veronica Mars. Have you watched the reboot yet? (No spoilers!)
- Kindle and Nook readers: You know you don’t own those books, right? “Disappearing content has become normalized in the age of streaming content, a la Netflix or Spotify. We understand that what is present one day may not be there the next. But are we prepared to accept the same conditions for books?”
- I love this blow dryer and it’s available right now at Ulta for the best price I’ve ever seen.
96% sure these are weeds, 100% don’t care. Follow me on Instagram @annebogel.
On the blog:
One year ago: One helpful piece of organizing (and life) advice. “Without a little margin, my system will be impossible to maintain.”
Two years ago: 2017 Summer Reading Guide: Reader Favorites. One of the best parts after publishing the annual Summer Reading Guide is seeing which books YOU actually read and enjoy.
Three years ago: The tastemakers. “Reading is supposed to be fun, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t all be smart about it. I pay attention to how I discover a book—a blog post, my bookstore, a friend’s recommendation, but I don’t often pause to consider the backstory to how it got thrown in my path.”
Four years ago: What books has everyone read but you? 4 years later, I’ve read 4 of the 7 books I then listed on my everyone-but-me list.
Five years ago: A peek inside the 2014 Jane Austen Festival. This was a fun day!
On What Should I Read Next:
Keren Form is a self-professed mega nerd who loves everything from LOTR, and board games, and epic science fiction. We discuss what it really means to be a nerd, and how her wholehearted enthusiasm has sent her on many life-enriching adventures. Even if you hear “science fiction” or “fantasy” and think “nope, not for me,” I think you’ll find something to love in this episode — my recommendations could just as easily be recommendations of a history lover, or a crime drama fanatic, or a romance-loving YA fan.
On One Great Book:
Don’t miss today’s brand-new episode of my new show One Great Book, where each week I pull one standout selection off my personal bookshelves and tell you all about it, in ten minutes or less.
Have a great weekend!