On Monday I marked the halfway point of winter by sharing the things that are saving my life right now by making winter—the hardest season—a little more tolerable.
But I’ll grudgingly admit winter has a few things going for it that are more than just tolerable.
There’s no other time of year I get to curl up with a good book and a cup of tea by the fire, or tromp through the snow in my boots. It’s my only chance to eat clementines and pomegranates, and watch college basketball. Early sunsets mean cozy family game nights with hot chocolate and popcorn, a là Farmer Boy.
These are a few of the things I love about winter. For real.
1. Grapefruit. I adore citrus and grapefruit is my favorite. I love it best in February, when it’s dirt cheap. (The best grapefruit I’ve had this year cost 15 cents each at Lucky’s.) Every time I halve a grapefruit I pray for fat, juicy pieces, and then eat it standing up at the kitchen counter.
I wasn’t surprised to read recently that the smell of grapefruit boosts the body’s feelings of energy and happiness. I can sure use more of those in February, so I switched to grapefruit-scented soap and cleaner, too. (More on that in a sec.)
2. Turmeric ginger tea from Rishi. I picked up a box of this on a whim at Whole Foods years ago and fell madly in love. This high-quality herbal blend smacks of citrus and spice and makes me glad it’s cold outside, if only for an hour.
3. Duraflame logs. I can start a fire without employing my Girl Scout skills when I light one of these, which means we’re actually using our fireplace this year.
4. Cozy slippers. I wore out my slippers five years ago and never replaced them. But Will asked for some for Christmas, and when I bought him a pair I ordered one for myself, too. (I’m such a good wife.) My poor toes are no longer freezing all the time.
5. Spotify’s winter acoustics playlist. So good.
6. My silly hat. I love cold weather hats (even though they do terrible things to my hair). This is my current favorite. When I wear it to walk the dog on freezing days, my fellow park-goers are extra-nice to me. Even this introvert likes that in the winter.
7. Candles. If there’s no light outside, make your own. I’m burning candles nonstop this winter to cheer up the dreary days and early nights. My cabinet is stocked with candles I got from ePantry and for Christmas gifts and it makes me feel like a wealthy woman, knowing they’re sitting there waiting for me to burn them.
I’ve been relying on ePantry this year to keep me stocked with some of my favorite wintry things: grapefruit-scented Method soap and cleaner, hand-poured soy candles, the lotion I’m using daily for my 4 minutes in the nude.
I’ve been thrilled with the service: they sell great products at a great value and are a pleasure to do business with, and I’m so happy to give you the opportunity to try it for yourself with a huge discount. They’re offering a special deal to MMD readers so you can get stocked for winter. (And spring cleaning, while you’re at it.)
Here’s how it works:
1. Sign up for an account through this link. You’ll get a free $5 credit plus two FREE products. This deal is good through Monday (February 9, 2015) at 3:00 p.m. EST and is only for MMD readers.
2. To make it even easier—you know how I dread decision fatigue—you can click through this link and start with the basket shown here. It’s fully customizable: you can change scents, add to it, or delete items. Or click “Finish & Pay” and you’re done.
Here’s what’s in the basket:
– Method Dish Soap-$3.89
– Method Dish Soap Refill- $4.99
– Method Daily Shower Spray- $4.07
– Mrs. Meyer’s Toilet Bowl Cleaner- $4.99
– Mrs. Meyer’s Bathroom Cleaner- $4.15
– ePantry 8oz Soy Candle- $9.95
– Method Hand Soap- Free with your offer!
– Method All-Purpose Cleaner- Free with your offer!
With a $5 Modern Mrs. Darcy credit, the total for this basket is $27.04- that’s only $3.38/product.
3. Existing customers: click this link to automatically add a free Method hand soap to your next shipment.
4. To get $5 off, your order needs to total at least $20. Check out and you’re done.
If you have any questions at all, use ePantry’s live chat feature. Their customer service team is wonderful. (Good to know: in the past they’ve given customers free $1 and $2 credits for checking out the FAQ page, telling them your favorite book, and other unexpected things. Keep your eyes open!)
For subsequent shipments, ePantry will suggest items based on your household’s needs and habits. You’ll get a reminder email from ePantry 7 days before each shipment is scheduled to go out. It’s a breeze to log in and modify your order or cancel your subscription at any time.
I’m so happy to share this deal with you. If you’re interested, don’t wait—the free $5 credit plus free Method hand soap and free all purpose cleaner are only available through Monday, February 9. Happy shopping!
What are YOUR favorite wintry things?
This post contains my affiliate links. Thanks for supporting MMD.