I like to keep a list in my bullet journal of the (mostly) little, everyday things bringing me a disproportionate amount of happiness these days. A recent sampling:
1. Nathan Hale’s Hazardous Tales. This middle grade graphic novel series was highly recommended by the women of Houston’s Blue Willow Books, and for that they have my eternal gratitude.
My third grader devoured this series this year—and because he always knew what to read next, he was always reading. In fact, at school conferences this spring, his teacher thanked Will and me for introducing Silas to the series, because he’d in turn convinced all the third grade boys to give it a try, and now they were all reading. That’s the power of a good series, friends.
2. Pencils. I’ve been on a giant pencil kick lately, and—inspired by CW Pencil Enterprise—I’ve been saving my spent ones in a jar on my desk. How long do you think it will take to fill it up?
3. Supergoop Unseen Sunscreen. I have sensitive skin, which means I’ve had issues with sun and sunscreen since I was a kid. This stuff isn’t perfect—after a week at the beach my face felt like it could use a break for all that slathering—but it’s the closest to perfect I’ve ever found.
4. DoorDash. I used this food delivery app in hotels across America this spring, which—bottom line—meant I could keep working on my book without leaving my hotel room. Copious thanks to Sarah Bessey, who turned me on to this (and made it possible for this Kentucky girl to enjoy Torchy’s in Denver).
5. Fresh herbs. From year to year, I forget how magical it is to have big planters filled with fresh parsley, thyme, rosemary, and basil just out my kitchen door. (Although we’ve depleted the parsley—is it too late to plant more?)
We use sprigs here and there, but my favorite thing to make with all these herbs is this lemon herb quinoa. When I plan ahead to buy all the ingredients, I also love this quinoa recipe with sugar snaps, radishes, and mint.
6. 10 Things to Tell You. I’ve enjoyed Laura Tremaine’s new podcast, particularly this skin care deep dive with Jamie Golden.
7. A souvenir wooden bookmark. When I was in Oxford, Mississippi this spring I couldn’t miss the opportunity to visit Faulkner’s home Rowan Oak, which is just minutes from the center of town. I fell into conversation with the curator, who sent me on my way with a unique wooden bookmark bearing an old-fashioned typewriter. It’s become a family favorite (and that’s saying a lot, because we have a ton of bookmarks around here).
8. This linen dress. This easy shift looks dressy with a pendant and earrings, casual with flip flops, and—the clincher—has pockets.
What (mostly) little things are bringing YOU a disproportionate amount of happy lately? I’d love to hear in comments.
P.S. Previous editions of little things I’m loving: 9 little things I’m loving this September, 6 things I’m loving for early summer, 6 (mostly) little things I’m loving this spring, 5 late fall/early winter favorites, 7 little January favorites, 9 October favorites, and 7 not terribly exciting things making me really happy these days.